• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zegame

Is there a free repository of audio-visual files for game designers?

This topic is 2478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Most of programmers cannot draw graphic files, such as characters, sceneries and objects, and many of them do not know how to use 3D modeling tools such as Blender. They cannot create sound effects or music easily.

I want to know if a repository of audio-visual files for games exists. The files from this kind of repository must not have copyright and any programmer can use these files in commercial games. Anyone can submit files to the repository.

If it does not exist, I think it is a good idea.

Advertisement

Most of programmers cannot draw graphic files, such as characters, sceneries and objects, and many of them do not know how to use 3D modeling tools such as Blender. They cannot create sound effects or music easily.

I want to know if a repository of audio-visual files for games exists. The files from this kind of repository must not have copyright and any programmer can use these files in commercial games. Anyone can submit files to the repository.

If it does not exist, I think it is a good idea.

Yea, sortof. Instead of a single repository located on one site that may shut down from lack of funds sometime in the future, what there is is a whole culture of people creating things for free, even for commercial works, as long as you give them credit. Look up "Creative Commons", learn the different (very easy to understand) licenses, and then go search for creative commons work that fits your needs.

By the way, "must not have copyright" doesn't make sense. Everything is copyrighted, whether you want it to or not. Your post is copyrighted, my post is copyrighted... copyrighted doesn't mean you can or cannot use something for free; it just means that you have to get permission from the one who created it. And if they created it, and give a license to it to anyone who wants it, the creators aren't forced to charge for it if they don't want to.

I second trying to find material licensed under the Creative Commons. It's a great way to gain access to audio and visual resources for your project, especially if art and music aren't your specialties. Take care to read the licenses carefully if you do use them; not all CC works can be used commercially. Nonetheless, if you just want to use them for training, or free/open source gaming projects, go for it. Two great places for CC music are the Newgrounds Audio Portal and Jamendo.

For graphics, Flickr has a CC category if you need realistic photos. For sprites, try SpriteLib. I haven't looked at the license in depth, but it's part of the Open Source Initiative. Apparently, it's been used in several mobile games, so this might be very helpful for 2D graphics. If you can get Blender, here's a nice blog that has a lot of models, mostly household stuff, but there are a couple of characters. Google around and you''ll find more than just these.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!