Story for Educational RPGs

Started by
10 comments, last by PedroFurtado 12 years, 3 months ago
I'm actually busy with some other projects, but still, I want to discuss this.

For my next game, I want to create learning games about a certain subject with turn-based, RPG-like, battle system.

However, I'm stuck in creating a plot for it. I mean, where should I take it?

I was thinking about something happening in the real world ( the hero failing an exam about the subject, for example ), and then, because of a fantastic element, he gets stuck in a fantasy world where skill in that Subject is used in battles against monsters, and basically he has to escape. He's a school kid.

But then, what? At first I was thinking about you only visiting the fantasy world through nightmares, and in the fantasy world maybe you could interact different versions of the real world people, but I can't really get a complex plot going in my head, to make some use of the real world. But maybe, it shouldn't be complex, I guess I just have a knack for complex plots. I also have a knack for anti-heroes... But it would be kinda hard to fit here, maybe.

Any thoughts on this?
Advertisement
I don't think one would really expect a deep complex story in a game about doing math problems or spelling to vanquish monsters. Personally I'd go for humor. And maybe something like Okami and similar games where the world has been messed up or darkened somehow and the player cleans it up and makes it magical and pretty again.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I like both, they do fit. I don't think I'm suited for humor, though. The whole thing about the world going wrong sounds easy to integrate with the gameplay and battlesystem, thanks!

I guess I may focus on graphics and gameplay, then try to find somebody to write up the text.
I like both, they do fit. I don't think I'm suited for humor, though. The whole thing about the world going wrong sounds easy to integrate with the gameplay and battlesystem, thanks!
I guess I may focus on graphics and gameplay, then try to find somebody to write up the text.
Are you going to take inspiration from Math Curse? You'd better.
Matt Willard: I help game companies sell and make better games.
That book looks interesting! biggrin.gif Never read it though. The story may have a similar hook, but the gameplay will probably be set in a fantasy universe and I wanna go with language instead of math.

Although my first idea for the game was about teaching Calculus rolleyes.gif
Have you ever heard about The typing of the Dead? This just reminded me to it.
I don't play MMOs because I would become addicted
what do u think about a game like indiana jhones but using real history based monsters or creatures from cultures like mayas , incas or another culture that belived in those kind of things?
You say you the subject you want to convey is Language. Language is a very broad term and if you could specify what parts of language (i.e grammar, spelling, foreign language, sentence structure, etc) it might be easier to point you in a good setting and plot.
I would play the heck out of an RPG starring a copy editor battling monsters like the dreaded "comma splice" and the fearsome "dangling modifier." ...But I'm also a copy editor in real life, so...

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement