• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GodzillaBR

Help with simple piracy control

This topic is 2572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry if there is another topic about this, I couldn't find it, and sorry for the bad english.

I want to protect my game from piracy. I don't intend to make it hack proof, there is no such thing, i just want to make it hard for the normal user to copy my game and give it to friends.
There's the idea: Online registration, or by phone. Once it is registraded it will only run if the disk is in the tray. But i don't wanna use DRM.
So, what i need is: to protect the data that will be instaled, and protect the disk from copy.

What I'm really looking for are ideas on how to do this, or help finding a software that do this for me, or new ideas on how to do a simple protection on my game.

Advertisement
I don't think you're going to be able to do what you want. Forcing a user to have a disk in the tray is a form of DRM, and if your game is at all popular that protection will be shredded in no time.

Online registration has similar issues (it's not so hard to fake), plus you have to set up and maintain the infrastructure to do the registration. Honestly, I think that your time and energy would be better spent on something else, since piracy protection will be breached without much trouble.

There was another thread with some discussion about this a while ago, I'll try to find it and post a link here later when I have more time.

Sorry if there is another topic about this, I couldn't find it, and sorry for the bad english.

I want to protect my game from piracy. I don't intend to make it hack proof, there is no such thing, i just want to make it hard for the normal user to copy my game and give it to friends.
There's the idea: Online registration, or by phone. Once it is registraded it will only run if the disk is in the tray. But i don't wanna use DRM.
So, what i need is: to protect the data that will be instaled, and protect the disk from copy.

What I'm really looking for are ideas on how to do this, or help finding a software that do this for me, or new ideas on how to do a simple protection on my game.

I would not do by phone or require the disk to be in the tray if you are selling it on PC. Once I install a PC game (if it's even on a disk) the disk goes into the closet somewhere. What you describe sounds somewhat more painful than usual DRM

edit: khaiy beat me

Here is a suggestion, ask the user who purchases your game to provide a valid email, address, name etc. Then when you sell and send the game to that user, you encode this information into the came code. If the game finds its way onto the internet then you know who put it there so you can go after them for piracy!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!