• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mikeanthonywild

Asset Management / GUID

This topic is 2480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm in the planning stages for a small prototype of a much larger project I am considering. The asset handling / management is usually (for me at least) where the failure or success hinges - thus far I have not had a case which resulted in success!

For the prototype I am using a simple language with DX wrapping functionality purely for the prototyping speed it offers. The language itself offers the following which I consider to be useful to the problem in question:

• Struct-like declarations (Arrays not allowed inside structs)
  • Multi-dimensional arrays
  • Array and function pointersThe metadata for each entity is accessed through a database on the server as this is not time-critical. Rendering-related info (IDs, positions etc.) for each entity must be locally accessible on the client for quick access in calculations.

I don't wish to store everything in a struct array as updating entities would be cumbersome, and it does not allow for much flexibility regarding what data can be stored. Similarly. Really, I would like each entity type to have its own individual struct, but would like a uniform method for accessing data from any entity type.

What I had in mind was a set of functions like:

• newGroup( groupName )
    • newAssetInGroup( assetName, groupId )
    • getAssetsInGroup( groupId )
    • getAssetByName( assetName )
    • getAssetById( assetId )
    • getAssetAttribute( attributeId )
    • getAssetGroup( assetId )
    • removeAsset( assetId)The big problem is how to pull this off when I can't use an array inside a struct. So I can do this: group(30).member, but not this: group(30).member(12). The Achilles heel is that you need to be able to refer to and create arrays and members without knowing their absolute name. I am hoping I can do this using pointers. The language doesn't natively support pointers, but fortunately there's a plugin whose commands I have listed below:

Matrix1Util_29

This plug-in provides various useful utilities for manipulating arrays and their contents, plus low-level access to those arrays.

Array Information

ARRAY COUNT
      GET ARRAY COUNT
      GET ARRAY DIMENSIONS
      GET ARRAY INDEX
      GET ARRAY ITEM SIZE
      GET ARRAY SIZE
      GET ARRAYPTR COUNT
      GET ARRAYPTR DIMENSIONS
      GET ARRAYPTR INDEX
      GET ARRAYPTR ITEM SIZE
      GET ARRAYPTR SIZE
      GET ARRAYPTR TYPE
      SET ARRAY INDEX
      SET ARRAYPTR INDEX

Array Manipulation

CLEAR ARRAY
      CLEAR ARRAY ITEM
      CLEAR ARRAYPTR
      CLEAR ARRAYPTR ITEM
      ROTATE ARRAY
      ROTATE ARRAYPTR
      SWAP ARRAY ITEMS
      SWAP ARRAYPTR ITEMS

Array Sorting

GET ARRAY SORT
      GET ARRAYPTR SORT
      REVERSE SORT ARRAY
      REVERSE SORT ARRAY RANGE
      REVERSE SORT ARRAYPTR
      REVERSE SORT ARRAYPTR RANGE
      SET ARRAY SORT
      SET ARRAYPTR SORT
      SORT ARRAY
      SORT ARRAY RANGE
      SORT ARRAYPTR
      SORT ARRAYPTR RANGE

Pointers to arrays and array items

GET ARRAY ITEM PTR
      GET ARRAYPTR
      GET ARRAYPTR ITEM PTR
      LINK ARRAY
      UNDIM ARRAYPTR
      UNLINK ARRAY

UDT Array format

GET ARRAY FIELD COUNT
      GET ARRAY FIELD OFFSET
      GET ARRAY FIELD TYPE
      GET ARRAY FORMAT
      GET ARRAYPTR FIELD COUNT
      GET ARRAYPTR FIELD OFFSET
      GET ARRAYPTR FIELD TYPE
      GET ARRAYPTR FORMAT
      GET FORMAT SIZE

Loading and Saving arrays

LOAD ARRAY FROM DATAFILE
      LOAD ARRAYPTR FROM DATAFILE
      SAVE ARRAY TO DATAFILE SAVE ARRAYPTR TO DATAFILE

Using these functions, is it possible to do what I have mentioned? Am I even heading in the right direction, or should I be thinking of some other system?

The problem I see is when you remove an asset. You don't want to just mark it as deleted and leave it there to go stale - especially if you need to do loop through a range of assets. If you delete the array index then you need to make sure you can still access all of the values after the one you just deleted.

I would really appreciate some pointers (no pun intended) on this and thank you all in advance.

Cheers,

Mike

Advertisement
A few questions:

• What exactly is your "asset system" meant to do? This is an extremely vague term and means very different things to different people, so it'd help if we could all get on the same page as to what purpose your code serves and what its goals are. One of the biggest pitfalls of software design is not having extremely explicit and concrete goals for individual systems; just from your post alone it seems like you're heading into this trap, although it may just be that you have more detail in mind but haven't typed it up yet - which is fine. We just need to know that detail before we can usefully proceed :-)

• What's the language you are working with, and why? Prototyping languages can be great when they offer enough functionality to do what you need, but as soon as you encounter a situation where you feel like you're pushing the boundaries of the language to get stuff done, it's time to pick better tools.

• How will this system be used? Be very wary of the trap of designing general purpose software. It's almost always a mistake. You should, generally speaking, never write code without having a very clear use case in mind. In other words, think from the perspective of someone (possibly yourself) who is tasked with writing code that uses your service. How will they accomplish routine tasks? What will things look like in code? What will the trade-offs be? What will the strengths and weaknesses be, and when will they matter? This ties in a lot with the first question, really, but from the opposite perspective. Instead of planning what features to build, think about what features you will need to use, and what you can live without. Software design is a juggling act and always involves some form of sacrifice; you give up one thing to make it easier to do another. You should be thinking in terms of these balances and focusing your design on what you absolutely need rather than trying to anticipate every possible scenario and struggling to engineer something that can cope with all the options. Minimalism is your best friend ;-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!