Feedback to my game project: Maze Rush

Started by
1 comment, last by enunes 12 years, 5 months ago
[media]
[/media]

Hey,

My little learning project is called Maze Rush (formerly generically called Labyrinth).
Maze Rush is a game where you race against AI robots towards the end of a maze.
The maze is automatically generated by the program and a new maze random is generated every time the game is launched.
Maze Rush runs on Linux (just not tested anywhere else actually).
Maze Rush is open source with source tracked at https://github.com/enunes/mazerush
Most of the code is homemade and done for own learning purposes.
No engine, just a game. Uses libraries for: window/input handling, text rendering, matrix math.
I had created a topic on an earlier release of this before, but in a less populated subforum. I thought I'd just give it one more try here in this new release.

Most notable functional features accumulated to this release:
- A new, size configurable random maze is generated automatically every time a match begins;
- You can choose between two algorithms for maze generation (Prim and Kruskal);
- You can configure the number of robot enemies, (and their names and colors);
- Three types of robot AI: standard DFS, "smart" search (avoids obvious dead-ends) and dumb (totally random movements);
- Shows ranking of finished racers with time and difference from first;
- Collision handling against walls;
- Player is allowed to freely fly in 3D and explore over the maze after reaching the end of the maze; or also camera-follow other robots.

Language: C++ ;
Runs on: Linux;
Uses: OpenGL, OpenAL + alut, glfw (window/input), glm (OpenGL Math, matrix library), ftgl (OpenGL fonts rendering library);
Tools used: blender (the robot model), audacity (to make the audio loop that got ripped off on the video), gimp/imagemagick, Linux development environment (vim, make, g++, gdb...), git/github.

I'd appreciate some feedback and maybe some ideas on how to make it more fun. Mostly gameplay features and maybe visual effects.
I do have plans to enable some multiplayer support but that's not for now as I still have a bit to learn there.

Thank you for your attention!
Advertisement
Awesome! I love mazes!!!

Looks really cool, man! Must be awesome to have come this far with such an impressive project. I'm in awe! :D

Suggestions:

I'm surprised it seems the opponents start in the same location as the player. Maybe have them all start in a different location trying to reach the center of the maze. They'd all start the same distance away, roughly, of course.

Lasers that damage or even destroy opponents would be cool, as I'm sure others will suggest. You would re-spawn back at your beginning location, or maybe at the opposing color's start.

Pits of acid/lave that need jumped would be cool, as well as other traps like smashing walls. Even a spring board that shoots a contestant to another part of the maze might work. Different terrain, like water or deep mud that slows down contestants might work -- or even a fast conveyer belt. A random power up that either slows the player down or speeds them up -- who knows? -- would add another player choice. How about transparent air tubes that suck players inside and loops them over the maze quickly to another location?

If you decide to add combat aspects, there could be different contestant types utilizing varying degrees of:

• Top speed;
  • Acceleration;
  • Attack Damage;
  • Attack Range;
  • Armor;
  • "Hit Points."

Of course, attack damage and range could also depend on power-ups or weapons.

The player could either chose a character that has different levels of those characteristics, or set them with a pool of points, or whatever. Power-ups then could effect these characteristics.

Just some ideas off the top of my head!

Keep up updated!!!
A 30-year-old interested in learning to program by making an old-school, simple, text-only or 2D dungeon fantasy video game.

• As of 9/28/2011, currently attempting to learn the basics of Python 2.7.
  • As of 10/14/11, Dabbling in C#.
  • As of 10/24/11, decisively surpassed my small knowledge of Python in C#.
Hey Sharpe, thank you for your reply and for your suggestions!

I'm surprised it seems the opponents start in the same location as the player. Maybe have them all start in a different location trying to reach the center of the maze. They'd all start the same distance away, roughly, of course.

Yeah, I agree that doesn't look much good :(
However it was the simplest way to do so. The problem with starting in different places, like aside each other, is that maybe it isn't fair with the current "winning" model (reaching the final position).
Reaching the center of the maze is a nice idea, however I would probably have to limit the number of players (like 4 for starting in the 4 corners). Limiting players is something I was trying to avoid :(

Lasers that damage or even destroy opponents would be cool, as I'm sure others will suggest. You would re-spawn back at your beginning location, or maybe at the opposing color's start.

If you decide to add combat aspects, there could be different contestant types utilizing varying degrees of:

• Top speed;
  • Acceleration;
  • Attack Damage;
  • Attack Range;
  • Armor;
  • "Hit Points."

Of course, attack damage and range could also depend on power-ups or weapons.

The player could either chose a character that has different levels of those characteristics, or set them with a pool of points, or whatever. Power-ups then could effect these characteristics.

Just some ideas off the top of my head!

Keep up updated!!!

Yeah when I showed an earlier release to some people they were like "so, where are the weapons and explosions?". I'm trying to stay away from combat aspects though.
I think adding combat will turn it into "just another fps game". Also it adds too much complexity that would require alot of changes (time).
But I really liked your other idea!

Pits of acid/lave that need jumped would be cool, as well as other traps like smashing walls. Even a spring board that shoots a contestant to another part of the maze might work. Different terrain, like water or deep mud that slows down contestants might work -- or even a fast conveyer belt. A random power up that either slows the player down or speeds them up -- who knows? -- would add another player choice. How about transparent air tubes that suck players inside and loops them over the maze quickly to another location?

That's something that I hadn't thought of really. I'll note that down and I think it really fits what I'm looking for! It does also kinda complicate the robots, but that seems much less intrusive because I can include one obstacle a time. With the addition of these (mainly the teleport tubes), a few power ups (like compasses, maps!) maybe players can start solving big mazes :)

Right now I guess I should at least give it a decent interface. The least fun part, but oh well. Adding a decent menu with a couple buttons for configuring options should do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement