Idea for Action Platformer

Started by
3 comments, last by sirkibble2 12 years, 5 months ago
I have a action platformer game im trying to design. Its like double dragons meets megaman. The characters use hand to hand combat but have special abilities like night vision and super agility. I guess I'm asking for suggestions on ways to utilize these in gameplay. Can someone suggest some elements in levels where these abilites can be used?
Advertisement
Mega man extensively used hi-jump to reach extra bonus.
If player can exit level at will, then the ability to slide/crawl inside small tunnels (like MM3) can be used to restrict movement unless the ability is gained.
If hand-to-hand combat is involved, density control would come handy. The same ability could be used to push a button, cause water to overflow a container short-circuiting security systems, move pistons or just avoid getting thrown by an enemy.
Of course, mega-punch abilities can be used to open new paths.
A whip can be used in combat but - as the player is totally badass - can also be used to pick up stuff or even grappling. Don't ask.

Previously "Krohm"

Look to Metroid for help. Those games are perfect in displaying level design that needs to be conquered with the right movement powers. (Ignoring sequence-breaking, of course.) Use stuff like night vision to reveal hidden walls to open new areas, for example. Or make a big vertical corridor that needs to be ascended with your mega-uppercut.
Matt Willard: I help game companies sell and make better games.

Or make a big vertical corridor that needs to be ascended with your mega-uppercut.

"Wall kicks will work". wink.gif
To add abilities like Night Vision and Super Agility means there has to be a reason to use them.

With Night Vision, there can be certain enemies that can only be seen with night vision. Perhaps the enemies have some sort of suits that cloud them at night or like what's been suggested, certain things can only be found with it. Maybe there's a boss that you have to switch between Night Vision and regular sight.

With Super Agility, depending on the physics you use, you can get a burst of speed to jump over bigger cliffs or be able to take down baddies quicker or maybe you can only pass through a certain part of a level with this as speed is necessary.

Like Titanium Man said, play Metroid. I'd also suggest playing the Kirby's Dreamland games. That's nothing but different abilities.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement