PDB files in OpenGL, Ignore or not?

Started by
0 comments, last by MarkS_ 12 years, 5 months ago
I have recently started to pick up OpenGL and I would get a bunch of " Cannot find or open the PDB file" when running my simple programs in visual studio 2010. I search this website and found many claims that we could ignore this as it simply had something to do with missing symbols. This problem could then be solved by going to tools -> options -> debugging -> symbols and ticking off microsoft symbol servers. Or we could go to Tools->Options->Debugging->Output Window and disable.

The thing is that the microsoft server symbol solution won't work I still get these 'Cannot find or open the PDB file' messages and then I read this:

http://www.wintellec...-must-know.aspx

Can we or can we not safely ignore these PDB outputs?

If I have double posted then I apologize.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Advertisement
Great post! I have been wondering about this myself. Truthfully, I didn't even know what a PDB file was until I read your link (thanks, BTW).What I find interesting is that all of the PDB not found warnings that I get are for DLLs supplied with either Windows or Visual Studio. Most, if not all, are in the Windows directory. After reading that link, it makes me wonder how useful this process is if you are guaranteed to get warnings simply because Microsoft failed to include the necessary PDBs with Visual Studio. I just have to assume that these are warnings we can safely ignore.

Here is the debug output from a project I am currently working on:

'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\opengl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\glu32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\Kids\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\3D Maze\3D Maze\glew32.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\tiptsf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\version.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'3D Maze.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvoglv32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

With the exception of 'glew32.dll", all of the listed DLLs came with Windows or Visual Studio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement