To all willing to lend advice.

Started by
8 comments, last by CodyFidler 12 years, 5 months ago
Hello as you can notice I am brand new to this forum and am here in search of Advice and materials for beginners in my quest to recreate and reinvent a classic game.

Now before I go on what I want I shall introduce myself in proper manner as I know how people coming in just expecting people to do as they demand. My name is Cody Fidler. Cjfidler for short. Long time gamer and dreamer of creating said games. Sadly through my life I have had no chance to learn the trade. I am 21 now and attempting to learn and I figured why not start with a classic game that I have always loved. That game is Castle of the winds.

Now as previously stated I know hardly a thing about programming. I have dabbled in it and I know I can understand it without too much trouble so I just need to learn it. I am here to ask for some references on what I need to learn to remake that game. the first rpg with loot and randomly generated dungeons that I'm aware of. and I would love to remake it with some improvements.

Can anyone help me? point me towards some guides and ideas how to do it? till then I will search around.

Thank you anyone who does help. =D
Advertisement
Well, first you'll need to learn to program. You'll have to take some baby steps at first. This goal of yours is certainly achievable, but it's not exactly a walk in the park (even for an experienced programmer, there is a decent amount of time invested into making any decent game). Don't be discouraged, and especially if in a month from now you feel overwhelmed or like you'll never get there! It just takes some time.

First, you'll need to decide on a platform and a language. Sometimes people get hung up on this step, afraid they'll make a wrong decision. But to be blunt, it's pretty hard to go wrong at this stage. There are so many right answers. Programming languages are just tools, all of which are designed to just get jobs done. So if you can do it in one, chances are you can do it in another. If you've got no programming experience, there are a couple of things I would recommend (these are opinion, not fact, as there's no "best language" or "best starting point"):

If you're in school and have access to Adobe Flash for free (some students in some departments get access to software for free), I would suggest looking into this to create your game. I've never played the game, but I just googled it and it seems like Flash would be an appropriate choice for developing it.
If you don't have access to Adobe Flash (don't go out and drop a few hundred bucks just to get it; it's not worth it at this point) and you're using Windows, I'd suggest looking into C# and using Visual Studio Express for C# (it's free, and an awesome IDE (you'll find out what an IDE is in the future)).
If you aren't using Windows... well I'm not sure exactly what to recommend here... Perhaps Python (you can use Python+Pygame to develop the game later).

One piece of advice (and this is more fact than opinion): learn how to program first. I too started out wanting to make games, and one trap I ran into (and others run into) was getting ahead of myself, thinking I knew what I was doing. Then I'd try and make the game, would barely get anywhere (because I really knew nothing), and just got discouraged. Programming is the basics building blocks you'll use to make your game. It'll be tough to make the game (i.e. assemble the building blocks of the programming part) if you haven't even grasped the basic core concepts (i.e. if you don't even know what the basic building blocks are or how to use them). Start small and work up to your goal. Complete lots of smaller projects first (i.e. guess the number game, tic tac toe, etc.), slowly building up. That way you'll learn faster (you won't waste so much time getting ahead of yourself), plus you'll accomplish a lot of smaller projects, which should help motivate you and boost your confidence.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Thank you for a timely response. Sadly I am not in school so that's out until I have a chance to formerly make it into one.

Right so C# it is then. While I proceed to find this program I have a favor to ask of you and everyone who is nice enough. Would you help lead this beginner into the light? maybe give me a task from time to time with a tutorial to make whatever until I grasp this better? That way I don't take up too much of yours or whoever's time while still learning?

Thank you for a timely response. Sadly I am not in school so that's out until I have a chance to formerly make it into one.

Right so C# it is then. While I proceed to find this program I have a favor to ask of you and everyone who is nice enough. Would you help lead this beginner into the light? maybe give me a task from time to time with a tutorial to make whatever until I grasp this better? That way I don't take up too much of yours or whoever's time while still learning?

Sure, I'll help where I can. I'll even start by providing you a link to Visual C# 2010 Express. For now, stay away from anything that talks about Windows Forms, WPF, etc. Those are things for creating a GUI, something C# and .NET are great for, but something that are down the road for you, not at the beginning of the road.

Try working through some of these tutorials first. Be sure to click on the "Next lesson" link at the bottom. It'll help explain some of the very basics that you'll need to grasp. In addition, try working through the beginner-intermediate tutorials here (I'll be the first to admit that those tutorials are incredibly lacking on the documentation side for a complete beginner, hence why I say start with those other tutorials first).

After working through a few tutorials (once you've learned how to create variables, output to the console, get input from the console, and what a simple while or for loop is), make a "Guess the secret number" game where the computer things of a random number between 1 and 100 and tells the user to guess it. The computer can give hints, like "lower" or "higher". Be sure to come back and post the code here and we'll do a little code review and answer any questions you might have.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
perhaps the ghost toast video tutorials on my website will help you, it sounds like your rpg game would be similar.

[quote name='Cjfidler' timestamp='1320453362' post='4880664']

Sure, I'll help where I can. I'll even start by providing you a link to Visual C# 2010 Express. For now, stay away from anything that talks about Windows Forms, WPF, etc. Those are things for creating a GUI, something C# and .NET are great for, but something that are down the road for you, not at the beginning of the road.

Try working through some of these tutorials first. Be sure to click on the "Next lesson" link at the bottom. It'll help explain some of the very basics that you'll need to grasp. In addition, try working through the beginner-intermediate tutorials here (I'll be the first to admit that those tutorials are incredibly lacking on the documentation side for a complete beginner, hence why I say start with those other tutorials first).

After working through a few tutorials (once you've learned how to create variables, output to the console, get input from the console, and what a simple while or for loop is), make a "Guess the secret number" game where the computer things of a random number between 1 and 100 and tells the user to guess it. The computer can give hints, like "lower" or "higher". Be sure to come back and post the code here and we'll do a little code review and answer any questions you might have.
[/quote]

Ok I shall do that now. I will edit in the code and drop you a PM once finished. Thanks again.

Ok I shall do that now. I will edit in the code and drop you a PM once finished. Thanks again.

Don't PM me. Of course, you can if you wish, but posting in the forums will allow others to contribute as well, and there's lot of professionals on these forums that it would be great if you could get any feedback from them as well. PM me when you post it in the forums though to make sure I remember to peek at it.
You might want to look into XNA, it's a api for C#. It's easy to install, all the back-work has been written for you while giving you a lot of freedom. Check dream build play to see what can be done in a short timespan. You can freely release on PC and have to pay xbox live membership gold to release for the xbox so thats pretty nice for a free tool to use and learn.

About you game, it might be a bit too ambitious. Keywords as Random maps and RPG are both pretty advanced. Although i can probably help you soon enough, since i'm setting foot a roguelike project myself (have a thread in this forum section too) and started on generating maps.

However, i started out with some hello world to calculator tutorials. Then stepped into a small text based console RPG (more of a arena fighting game where you level up then a RPG actually). Then Pong to learn how i move my awesome graphics, then arkanoid to get familiar with arrays and more advanced collision detection, then a couple of fail projects which i did learned a lot from, then a small platformer. And in the meanwhile read a lot try some little stuff out etc.

You might want to look into XNA, it's a api for C#. It's easy to install, all the back-work has been written for you while giving you a lot of freedom. Check dream build play to see what can be done in a short timespan. You can freely release on PC and have to pay xbox live membership gold to release for the xbox so thats pretty nice for a free tool to use and learn.

I would definitely second using XNA with C# to make your game. However, do not start using XNA now. Get the grasp of C# first. Spend a few months with just C#. Don't get into XNA yet. XNA is a great tool, but it's quite a big one and will take you time to learn how to use it right. You'll get ahead of yourself trying to learn XNA before you even know C# if you try to start with XNA. I just wanted to add that.

About you game, it might be a bit too ambitious. Keywords as Random maps and RPG are both pretty advanced. Although i can probably help you soon enough, since i'm setting foot a roguelike project myself (have a thread in this forum section too) and started on generating maps.

It's definitely too ambitious for the very first project, but once he understands programming properly and other things related to game development, it looks like an entirely achievable project. Depending on how much time he invests into it all, he could have a working prototype in less than a year.

However, i started out with some hello world to calculator tutorials. Then stepped into a small text based console RPG (more of a arena fighting game where you level up then a RPG actually). Then Pong to learn how i move my awesome graphics, then arkanoid to get familiar with arrays and more advanced collision detection, then a couple of fail projects which i did learned a lot from, then a small platformer. And in the meanwhile read a lot try some little stuff out etc.

I would definitely recommend a similar course of action as this one. Some of the projects menyo has mentioned here are some great ideas to help you understand how developing games works.

(This post was pretty much directed to the OP, I'm only half talking to menyo... it makes sense in my head but I can imagine I'm confusing someone and they'd think I'm talking more to menyo than I am to the OP).

[edit]

I'm just realizing how much I use the word "definitely"...

[quote name='menyo' timestamp='1320531983' post='4880873']

I would definitely second using XNA with C# to make your game. However, do not start using XNA now. Get the grasp of C# first. Spend a few months with just C#. Don't get into XNA yet. XNA is a great tool, but it's quite a big one and will take you time to learn how to use it right. You'll get ahead of yourself trying to learn XNA before you even know C# if you try to start with XNA. I just wanted to add that.

It's definitely too ambitious for the very first project, but once he understands programming properly and other things related to game development, it looks like an entirely achievable project. Depending on how much time he invests into it all, he could have a working prototype in less than a year.

I would definitely recommend a similar course of action as this one. Some of the projects menyo has mentioned here are some great ideas to help you understand how developing games works.

(This post was pretty much directed to the OP, I'm only half talking to menyo... it makes sense in my head but I can imagine I'm confusing someone and they'd think I'm talking more to menyo than I am to the OP).

[edit]

I'm just realizing how much I use the word "definitely"...
[/quote]

Once again thank you all. I am still slowly working through the first tutorials I was given. I would be working faster but I am mid trying to get a tower defense on the phone marketplaces by editing using a premade scripts from Microsoft. That and keep practice in bf3 for the tournament.

That aside if any of you have some spare time and haven't played Castle of the winds and don't have the 64x windows 7 (some reason it doesn't work on this one but it work on just that.) http://lkbm.ecritter...w/download.html small and you will get a clue to what I wanted to make.

Edit: Cjfidler on skype to anyone interested. just use it for text chat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement