• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LevyDee

Figuring out shadow mapping

This topic is 2478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have been using the D3D samples provided by Microsoft to figure out how to implement shadow mapping into my game engine(specifically the ShadowMap example). With out worrying about my shader code yet, I just want to post what I have going so far on the shadow map rendering, and let me know if it looks proper. I have commented most lines to the best of my understanding as to what that line does. I am still fairly new to advanced d3d stuff, and I want to make sure I am understanding what is going on, instead of blindly copying code.

Thanks!

LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 oldRT;
_d3dDevice->GetRenderTarget(0, &oldRT); //Save the current render target to revert after building the shadow map.

LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 oldDS;
_d3dDevice->GetDepthStencilSurface(&oldDS); //Save the current depth stencil to revert after building the shadow map.

LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 shadowMap;
LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 shadowSurf;
_d3dDevice->CreateTexture(512, 512, 1, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DFMT_R32F, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &shadowMap, 0);//Create the texture to hold the shadow map.
shadowMap->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &shadowSurf); //Get the surface of the texture to render to.

LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 shadowDepth;
_d3dDevice->CreateDepthStencilSurface(512, 512, D3DFMT_D16, D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE, 0, true, &shadowDepth, 0); //Create the depth stencil surface to hold the shadow depth information.

_d3dDevice->SetRenderTarget(0, shadowSurf); //Set my render target to my shadow texture
_d3dDevice->SetDepthStencilSurface(shadowDepth); //Set the depth buffer to my shadow depth surface.

/////////////////Hard coded light matrices for testing//////////////

//Get the view matrix for the light
D3DXMATRIX lightView;
D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&lightView, &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 50.0f, 0.0f), &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f), &D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));

//Get the projection matrix of the light
D3DXMATRIX lightProj;
D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&lightProj, D3DXToRadian(45.0f), 1, 1.0f, 100.0f);

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//This loop is my normal draw process, with a few things omitted and changed for shadow rendering purposes.

//render the shadow map
for(int i = 0; i < _bucket.Size(); i++)
{
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&_bucket.GetObjectIndependents()->matTranslate, _bucket.GetDrawLocation()->x, _bucket.GetDrawLocation()->y, _bucket.GetDrawLocation()->z);

//Usually my cameras view and cameras projection
D3DXMATRIX lightWorldViewProj = (_bucket.GetObjectIndependents()->matTranslate * lightView * lightProj);

//Set the indexed stream
if(_bucket.GetDrop()->Stream())
_SetIndexedStream(_bucket.GetDrop());

//Draw the item
_bucket.Draw(_d3dDevice, lightWorldViewProj, true);
}

//After rendering shadow map, revert the render target and depth buffer
_d3dDevice->SetDepthStencilSurface(oldDS);
oldDS->Release();

_d3dDevice->SetRenderTarget(0, oldRT);
oldRT->Release();

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!