• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
minanda

Absolute beginner...!

This topic is 2472 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. Basically i'm hoping to work in games development in the future, at college at the moment and will be starting a computer science degree next september. Now basically, i started learning Python, but the more I read on the net the more unsure I am of whether to carry on with this, start learning C# or just jump straight into C++.

Anyone have a clue? pass it this way please =)

Thanks!

Advertisement
Python is a really good starting point, so I can really recommend you continue what you're doing now
Looking into C# and/or Java would also be a good idea if you're eventually planning on moving to C++, since these are all C-derivatives with a good amount of common concepts

C++ is not a good candidate for starting out since you'll have to keep a lot of things in mind which keep you away from the actual programming part; these things are taken care of for you by higher level languages like the ones mentioned above, so you can completely focus on learning general programming concepts

I hope this helps, and good luck ;)

'C++ is not a good candidate for starting out since you'll have to keep a lot of things in mind which keep you away from the actual programming part' yeah i read somewhere that starting with C++ is like starting to learn maths with advanced calculus, that's why i started with python. Just so many different views it gets confusing!

Thank you for the help, i'll carry on as I am =)

Hi all. Basically i'm hoping to work in games development in the future, at college at the moment and will be starting a computer science degree next september. Now basically, i started learning Python, but the more I read on the net the more unsure I am of whether to carry on with this, start learning C# or just jump straight into C++.

Anyone have a clue? pass it this way please =)

Thanks!

Read this guide. It should answer all of your initial questions and more.

I generally would suggest C# over C++, but if you get started with C#, you aren't going to want to switch!

I agree with that has been said, don't know what you heard about python, i have no experience with it either but i do think it's a very good language. You know they used python as one of the main tools to created eve online and civilization 4 right?

Anyway, if your really starting out, and want to change language learn some c#, download XNA 4.0 and behold awesomeness.

@ Serapth
Thanks =) that helped some! Just one thing, the guide says that C# is best implemented on MS, I run a Linux OS, will it cause major issues or just a little extra work ?

@ Menyo thanks for the help =)

Comparing c++ to calculus is not a good analogy. Calculus is hard to learn because it avoids what's going on behind the scenes to model systems through abstract techniques. C++ is hard to learn because you have to know what is actually going on behind the scenes (something you should want to know anyway, as a programmer).

@ Serapth
Thanks =) that helped some! Just one thing, the guide says that C# is best implemented on MS, I run a Linux OS, will it cause major issues or just a little extra work ?

@ Menyo thanks for the help =)

On linux you can work with the mono framework for developing in C#; there are differences between mono and the .NET framework of course, but it shouldn't cause any trouble I suppose

[/quote]

On linux you can work with the mono framework for developing in C#; there are differences between mono and the .NET framework of course, but it shouldn't cause any trouble I suppose
[/quote]

Ok thanks again!

C++ is not a good candidate for starting out since you'll have to keep a lot of things in mind which keep you away from the actual programming part[/quote]
Don't believe this. You only need to know very very little c++ or any language for that matter, to actually write a game. At the core all you need to know is how to make and manipulate variables. The first 20-30 pages of a c++ book is all you need to know really to make anything. Game development is not c++, common misconception in my opinion. Not enough material covers game development.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!