• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sappharos

OpenGL 2D Running Character using Vector Graphics

This topic is 2535 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've made a 2D running animation in C++ and OpenGL, using joints (vectors) which rotate relative to each other according to sine waves, and bones which exist purely visually between joints. You could even call it an "implementation of forward kinematics"... Here's the video of the project at its current stage. There are also links to previous versions in the description, if you're interested.

[media]

[/media]

Now the question is, how to proceed? I want to turn this into an animated female character for a game, moving towards Adventure Quest / Dragon Fable style. Different animations are not a problem, but I'm looking for ways to represent different parts of the character using vectors, and draw them without the use of textures. Any suggestions relating to any aspect of the animation will be appreciated.

- The main reason for this post is that the current bone / joint structure clearly can't do everything (consider the neck, or the palms of the hands, or the ribs). How can it be padded out?
- How do I draw the outside edges of the geometry only?
- Any other ways to improve the graphics?

I will follow this thread at least until it drops off the first page of the forum, so don't feel that an answer would come too late to be of any use.

Thanks,

Matthew Rule

Advertisement
I'm not an expert, but there should be a rotation of the torso and abdomen which should also be visible in 2D. I think that the animation looks weird without it.

You might be able to get your torso rotation if you use a scaling transform for the torso and some cleverly made graphics that include masking. So basically you create a torso art asset that can be masked and scaled and play around with the mask and scale till you achieve the result you want. If your mask is the torso then think of the position of the graphic that fills that mask as being like a spherical map that stretches around the torso. That might actually work by itself.

Actually, just watching your second vid, that looks pretty slick, you just have to texture it right to hide the clothes pegginess of it

You might be able to get your torso rotation if you use a scaling transform for the torso and some cleverly made graphics that include masking. So basically you create a torso art asset that can be masked and scaled and play around with the mask and scale till you achieve the result you want. If your mask is the torso then think of the position of the graphic that fills that mask as being like a spherical map that stretches around the torso. That might actually work by itself.

Actually, just watching your second vid, that looks pretty slick, you just have to texture it right to hide the clothes pegginess of it

Thanks for the reply. :)

I got a bit confused though. A spherical map that stretches around the torso? Spheres are 3D, and my character is, well... just polygons moving relative to each other according to sine waves. Are you referring to a texture wrapped around like a skin for a 3D model, to make the torso rotation more visible from the side?

This is only meant to be a 2D animation, using vectors for all graphics (i.e. no textures or art assets). I've found this allows me to scale and tweak variables more easily. Perhaps I'm taking a naïve approach though, or you have an applicable suggestion which I just don't understand.

The main reason for this post is that the current bone / joint structure clearly can't do everything (consider the neck, or the palms of the hands, or the ribs). I'm looking for ways to pad it out, and to draw the outside edges of the geometry only. I should have clarified that in the OP, will modify it now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!