• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Promblem gamers

This topic is 2387 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a real physics voxel game, which is RPG fantasy. A major issue is that my players are making gun powder, rockets, cannons, guns, even combustion engines. Any ideas on how I could limit this pesky human behaviour?

I have made the mixing of gunpowder more unstable (prone to sudden explosion) but they have gotten around this by having others (NPC's) manufacture it. I also tried to make it less combustible, but they always find a way to boost the burning potential. They haven't built lasers yet, and to my knowledge can't - I hope, but there seems no limit to their inventiveness or persiverance!

Advertisement
And what is the problem you are trying to solve? Why is all this inventiveness a "problem" to you? Can't you embrace the users' behavior and find more ways to help them have fun in your game?

If you wrote the game, you understand all the limitations, checks and balances and you are more than likely still in a position to make changes at will.
Stop crying because the players have pressed the envelope and discovered weaknesses in your design.. they are doing the job of a QA and not being paid for it.

I have a real physics voxel game, which is RPG fantasy. A major issue is that my players are making gun powder, rockets, cannons, guns, even combustion engines. Any ideas on how I could limit this pesky human behaviour?

I have made the mixing of gunpowder more unstable (prone to sudden explosion) but they have gotten around this by having others (NPC's) manufacture it. I also tried to make it less combustible, but they always find a way to boost the burning potential. They haven't built lasers yet, and to my knowledge can't - I hope, but there seems no limit to their inventiveness or persiverance!

Is this a setting issue, where you want a deliver a 'medieval-like' world setting, but the player base invented too modern or improper items ? I would be happy about such inventiveness of the player base, maybe it would be easier to adope the player behaviour and add some kind of 'steam/mechanic' science to your world which could explain all the items. Many games like WoW or Warhammer have some kind of this more modern engineering concepts in an else medieval setting.

So you are complaining that the players are too creative and are having too much fun inventing stuff? That sounds like an awesome problem to have :D

LOL, that's how players are. Fighting it is a futile attempt.

I would just change the game world lore to one that incorporates explosives. If they don't want to play a pure non gunpowder fantasy then don't force them. In the end we are here to make the players happy and to cater to their needs. If they insist on something that we initially discarded and it is not damaging other subsystems then it is us who should change our minds.

BTW, drop a link, it seems like an interesting game.

Did expect so many flames for trying to keep a game into a genre.

I did consider making NPC gods who come down and remove items and/or punish players. But this is my only solution, I was hopeful outsourcing my issue would result in more solutions. Perhaps I could limit certain solutions to explode instantaneously (sulphur, carbon, potassium nitrate = gunpowder) but players would then simply find ways to suddenly cause mixing and blow things up. Perhaps I could simply make the result a non descript goo with no use.
I really need some helpful solutions please, I will make a futuristic version once the RPG fantasy is done - for all you science fanatics.

Name, so i can check if its free and if it is i can bother to try to install it?

Sorry the game is a VERY basic engine frame, with many problems such as disappearing voxels and other unaccounted for happenings. Also there are less than 5 Alpha testers who I know personally and often contribute to development.

Wow, awesome progress for someone who, just 2 days ago, was new to programming and thought OpenGL might be a little advanced. Good job, way to go, can we get a demo link?

It is not very visual at all, basically just early framework. Think those "sand" games but even less polished.
Sorry I think I may have accidentally got people excited when I said voxel, I was a little missleading, my voxels are single pixel at the moment not big ones or pretty or anything very spectacular.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!