• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Litheon

[DX9Ex] FLIPEX Mode

This topic is 2597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

What is your experience with the Direct9Ex swappeffect FLIPEX mode in Windows 7 ? (Direct3D 9Ex Improvements)
Do you guys have better performance than with the normal DISCARD ?

With me, the performance with FLIPEX is always worse :(
I hoped I would get a serious performance boost :(

First I tried to render in a 1920x1080 window (NO exclusive fullscreen) and I drew 2000 rotating cubes. With DISCARD I always kept 30 FPS (30 ms) but with FLIPEX it will not get higher than 15 - 16 FPS (60 ms)

And the actual program I am working on utilizes multiple swap chains.
When I am just drawing 1 rotating cube to 4 fullscreen swapchains (not in exclusive mode, 2 screens are on another GPU) the framerate drops to 15 FPS while with just DISCARD it still reaches 30 FPS.
Off course when I present each swapchain I pass the D3DPRESENT_DONOTWAIT flag but it still takes a long time when it returns from the swapchain->Present () function.

device->swapChain_->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, D3DPRESENT_DONOTWAIT);

So, what is your experience with FLIPEX and does this mode even work with multiple swapchains?

(I've tried both with D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE and D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE, but at the end I want to use D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE)

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!