• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iam73

Need help understanding this one: file_walker += (size+3)&~0x3;

This topic is 2473 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

As the subject says, I'm studying old code for 90's game and came to a line that my limited c++ knowledge can't understand.

This is used in a "file walker" function, where a binary file is loaded in memory then parsed to store its content in variables.
Some section of this files are skipped and this is how it's done:

file_walker += (size+3)&~0x3;

"file_walker" is used to store the memory offset of the next chunk to read.

"size" is the size of the chunk size.

What I can't get is this part of the operation: "&~0x3". "&" and "~" are "NOT" and "AND" bitwise operators aren't they? How does this operation translates in layman terms?

While debugging, I can see that, if size = 3664, file_walker is incremented by 3664:

file_walker+=(3664+3)&~0x3;

"&~0x3" seem to be substracting 3 from the total, so then why add 3 if you remove it right-away?

If anyone could shed some light on the use of &~ in "arithmetic" operations I would greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
They are AND and NOT, correct. But it doesn't subtract three, it clear the two lowest bits. Described in terms of arithmetics, and more specifically subtraction, it subtract either 0, 1, 2 or 3, so that the two lowest bits become zero. In other words, it rounds the number down to the nearest multiple of 4.

Together with adding 3, it effectively rounds up to the nearest multiple of 4.

Note, though, that this bit trickery is only valid for rounding to powers of two. Rounding up to any power of two N in general, you add (N-1) and mask with &~(N-1).

They are AND and NOT, correct. But it doesn't subtract three, it clear the two lowest bits. Described in terms of arithmetics, and more specifically subtraction, it subtract either 0, 1, 2 or 3, so that the two lowest bits become zero. In other words, it rounds the number down to the nearest multiple of 4.

Together with adding 3, it effectively rounds up to the nearest multiple of 4.

Note, though, that this bit trickery is only valid for rounding to powers of two. Rounding up to any power of two N in general, you add (N-1) and mask with &~(N-1).

Got it! Thank you very much!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!