• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JadeDragon

What online game services are there?

This topic is 2470 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Searching the forums (or even google for that matter) did not provide a related answer so here is my question:

What online services are there that provide (paid or free) services for games (and game developers) such as (all or just any of these) matchmaking, leaderboards, lobbies, authentication, anti-cheat, permanent statistics / progression / items / gear, statistics, and so on.

The only two I could think of and everyone pointed me are GameSpy and Steam. Are there any others?

Note: I am primarily looking for PC related services but mobile (phone or PDA) / linux / mac / console related services are also welcome.

Advertisement

The only two I could think of and everyone pointed me are GameSpy and Steam. Are there any others?

A few I can think of:

- Xbox Live! / Games for Windows Live!
- Playstation Network
- Hi5/Sociopath
- OpenFeint
- GamersFirst
- Viximo
- PlayJam
- EA Play

Some of these may require signing a publishing agreement with them to get access. Zynga, DeNA, EA and others have internal platforms for use by titles they publish (similar to Xbox Live! or Playstation Network) None of these cover all of everything that you suggest, and there are others out there that may do even thinner slices, so it depends on what you're looking for, specifically, to do.

[quote name='hplus0603' timestamp='1320948402' post='4882673']
[quote name='Tim1456' timestamp='1320912581' post='4882474']
Are there any others?

Yes.
[/quote]Such as?
[/quote]

Battle.net does all of that.

Bungie.net has Halo stats and matchmaking.

There's also EA's Origin which is a Steam clone. Not sure if they do stats and matchmaking though.

[quote name='hplus0603' timestamp='1320948402' post='4882673']
[quote name='Tim1456' timestamp='1320912581' post='4882474']
Are there any others?

Yes.
[/quote]Such as?
[/quote]

In my opinion, that's an almost unanswerable question. A better question is:

"I have needs of functions A, B and C. My game has budget X and my publisher is Y (or I don't want a publisher, or whatever.) I've already found P, Q and R when searching on the internet, magazine ads and trade shows, but I'd like to understand if I missed something."

And, an even better question is: "I've looked at solutions D and E, and I don't understand why D is free but E costs $50,000 -- as far as I can tell, they provide the same functions relative to my needs A, B and C."

We can't make up your mind for you, and we also can't read your mind on what it is you actually need. If your reason to ask a question is only "hey, I'm curious about all this game networking stuff," then that's a fine question, too -- then my advice is to go read the FAQ, and then read the available documentation on each of the systems already mentioned in this thread, and study at least one game made with each. Once you've done that, you should have an excellent understanding about what each platform/library/system would give you.

Good luck, and if you have more specific questions, please come back and I'm sure everyone on the forum will do their best to answer.

*snip*

The question was simple: Everyone who bother to respond list all and every gaming services which have at least one such feature I have listed or other that can be used for an online game. That simple.

Your BS is completely irrelevant regarding the subject and there is no need to read the mind of the person asking the question nor doing the work listing the actual features instead I can do that myself, all you had to do (IN CASE YOU BOTHER TO REPLY that is) is to list the services you are aware of, so I can do the rest based on my needs, whatever they are.

If you don't want to or are too lazy to answer no problem no one forces anyone to answer at all but if you do, don't BS and provie a real answer otherwise you can take your own advice: "if you have more specific ANSWERS, please come back" but until then stop wasting people's time (including yourself).

As for everyone else: If anyone else has more of these services (such that are not listed) and want to list them, feel free, any additional ones are welcome. Also no need to list their features at all just their website link (not even their name is necessary).

Also just a notice for QQ-ers: No one forces anyone to answer nor did I demand an answer, I was just asking, if you don't feel answering absolutely fine. Regardless if you do answer then leave the BS for your family and friends.

If your question is "I want to find all things that do X", then I'd recommend using a search engine, not a forum. Also please drop the attitude, its unbecoming.

This topic is 2470 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.