• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
irras88

Gesture-based input for XNA?

This topic is 2588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey folks. I'm working on a project that requires gesture-based input in order to interact with the game. Honestly, I know pretty much nothing about computer vision at the moment, but it's definitely on my to-do list.

One major issue that I keep running back to in my head, though, is how to monitor and receive this input from the already-made game loop in XNA. No matter how much I think of it, I can't seem to come up with even an idea for a solution for this. Perhaps this has to do with my ignorance in computer vision topics and the fact that I'm still pretty much a fledgling developer, but I would greatly appreciate some ideas or to be pointed in the right direction.

Advertisement
The Kinect SDK Beta can be used with C++ or C# on the PC, which means you could use it with XNA. I suspect the SDK for windows wouldn't load on a 360 though. It's probably the cheapest way to get started.

Yeah, I was planning on using the Kinect and learning that the SDK can be used with C# is a load off my mind. Still, though, getting live input in a game loop doesn't seem like a trivial problem. Perhaps I'll need to research with the SDK.

As for what gestures I'm planning on using, imagine something along the line of spell runes/glyphs. Drawing a big M in the air for the camera to see would invoke a fire spell, for example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!