• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rooski358

next step?

This topic is 2592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ive completed my state manager and wasnt sure on what to work on next , i figure i need events (keyboard/mouse). and since this will be similar to the game events manager i figured ill start that aswell. would that be a good thing to work on next ? can you offer me any hints/tips on event managers , should i bother making 2 classes(inputevents, and gameEvents) or should i just group it into 1 class ? im looking for something that is easy to implement and maintain/addto(aren't we all smile.gif )

Advertisement

What's your eventual goal? What have you accomplished so far in reaching that goal?

Oh yeah , would be good if I mention this is for a 2d tile based game (similar to Zelda :alttp) . Its mainly for practice , I tried this a couple of months back and I had a simple working game with movement, collisions, and a few enemies , but it was spaghetti code . I just didn't have structure or any neat managers , my code was just dumped wherever it would work.
I'm trying to redo all that work , but this time working on things like state and event managers , in the hopes of keeping my code clean and readable , also learning programming concepts I wasn't taught in school( barely any OOP was taught in any of my c++ courses , which is weird) and since I'm not sure what is or isn't needed for a game I'm reading up on a lot of articles/ posts on this and many other sites trying to figure out what I need next so I'm not working in many different systems at once , but instead fixating on one and completing it and understanding how it works completely.

Sorry for that wall of text , I'm texting this from my phone.

I would say the best thing to do is to get something playable.

Doesn't matter if it has no features; maybe it's just a guy running around a flat, empty 2D world. That's a good start. Maybe it's just an empty 2D world with no guy that you can scroll around in. Whatever seems like it's within reach at the moment.

Then, pick something to add. Maybe collectible gold coins, and randomly scatter them around. Then add obstacles. Then treasure chests. Or enemies. Or indoor/outdoor transitions. Or whatever your game calls for.

I find it's much easier to maintain focus and motivation when there is a chain of progression to watch. Instead of trying to build everything up front to handle every conceivable requirement of your game, build it one feature at a time. Concentrate on (almost) always having something you can actually play with, even if it's very very simple. If you get partway through and discover that you need to change your code, then feel free to do so; it doesn't cost you anything and the learning experience is immensely valuable.

You can never predict everything that might go wrong with your design, so the best strategy is to design something that gets you close to your goal and then refine it until you hit the mark. And don't forget that you don't need "perfect" - just "good enough." :-)

ok , i understand what you are saying , but id still like to focus more on the framework than getting the game running. plus i know that im going to need a statemanager and an event manager , might as well work on them instead of just trying to get something onscreen and moving . so let me ask another question , how would you design your event manager ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!