• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
antibug

Ishar 1 - Windows version

This topic is 2576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

The next year I have a new project, a Windows version of the game Ishar 1 (dos game) :)
I am currently trying to read the graphics IO files, but i don't have the format :( (header, data, compression mode)
(for the compression, i think LZH ...)

If you have an idea !! ?

thank you in advance ;)

-(antibug)-

Advertisement
If you use a hex editor (or even notepad) look at the first couple of characters in the file generally it denotes what type of file it is.
I think 7zip can decompress LHZ or LHA files, I would just decompress and recompile them into a easier to use format.

If you use a hex editor (or even notepad) look at the first couple of characters in the file generally it denotes what type of file it is.
I think 7zip can decompress LHZ or LHA files, I would just decompress and recompile them into a easier to use format.

Hi,
It's not a 7Zip, LHA format, given the age, it's specific format.
there is a common header, a shift depending on the file (decal 26 .. 28 bytes).
apparently the format is LZW pack, but ...

That wouldn't be legal (or atleast he can't legally redistribute those files), if he wants to play reasonably safe he should write his own compatible engine and have it load the resources from the original game, (Then its up to the players to obtain the original game, (it is available for sale on gog.com so its not that difficult)

I know this compilation
the company selling this compilation sell the games with DOSBOX !!!!!
this is not normal !!

last year this games they were abandonware.

I think you missed the point. Legally, there is no such thing as abandonware. It is just as illegal for you to distribute the original files from Ishar without license as it would be for you to distribute files from Battlefield 3. People get away with it because whoever owns the copyright is uninterested in enforcing it. Presumably, if GOG is selling it, whoever owns the rights is making a profit and is likely to frown on actions which cut into this.

I think you missed the point. Legally, there is no such thing as abandonware. It is just as illegal for you to distribute the original files from Ishar without license as it would be for you to distribute files from Battlefield 3. People get away with it because whoever owns the copyright is uninterested in enforcing it. Presumably, if GOG is selling it, whoever owns the rights is making a profit and is likely to frown on actions which cut into this.

Yep, what this man said.

Besides, if we're going to use terms like "abandonware" then this is clearly not that since the current copyright holder is still actively selling the game!

I know this compilation
the company selling this compilation sell the games with DOSBOX !!!!!
this is not normal !!

last year this games they were abandonware.

As others have said , abandonware is not a legal term, it is just a description of copyright protected works where the copyright holder has ceased to show any interest in enforcing their rights. They may start enforcing their rights again at any time if they so please, Thus distributing abandonware is technically illegal, those who do so tend to get away with it because they cooperate with the copyrightholders.

If you look at for example home of the underdogs (one of the bigger abandonware sites) and their Ishar 1 page:
http://www.hotud.org...g/20245-ishar-1
you'll see that they only provide a link to gog.com (They do that for all games that are sold on that site, and for others that aren't being sold they simply remove the download links if the copyrightholder requests it which means that the selection of games that are available for free there is pretty much restricted to freeware titles and orphaned works)

Also, there is nothing wrong with selling games bundled with DOSBOX, it is a great piece of software, the important thing is that it works.

As it stands you are free to implement your own engine that is capable of loading the resources from those games, (You might want to look up clean room design though). but the resources themselves are still protected by copyright and will be so for another 50 years or so in most jurisdictions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!