• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent_M

Suitable Sound Formats for FMOD on iOS

This topic is 2587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We're working on an iOS project, and we've got FMOD setup and a basic project running in our prototype. I'm thinking of WAV for sound effects, and MP3 for music. The problem is, MP3 isn't royalty-free, correct? Would OGG be a good alternative from MP3? Also, Apple seems to be pushing its CAF format over the WAV format which is practically the same thing, but I'm not sure if there's any performance differences between the two.

Advertisement
Using MP3s is fine; FMOD uses Apple's hardware to do the actual decoding (and indeed you could as well if you decided to roll your own), so it is not an issue for you. FMOD handles OGGs just as well IIRC, so whatever floats your boat, mate. With either format, royalties should only be an issue if you are using somebody else's music (ie. you don't own the music) or you are trying to use your app in order to sell music in some way.

Like you said, WAV and CAF are basically the same thing so whatever floats your boat, mate. I stuck to WAVs because I already had them working and have no need for exotic audio formats.

MP3 isn't royalty-free, correct?
Implementing an MP3 decoder isn't royalty free. If you're using FMOD, then they're the ones who have to pay this royalty (for adding an MP3 decoder to their product), not you.

Alright, thanks mates. Now, does FMOD load sound effects on demand when using the Event System API? When playing with some of the low-level samples (not Event System), it sent messages to the console about load/unloading the sounds. When I load up a project and all of its sounds, it's all loaded into memory for that time, right? If this is the case, my sound bank can't be too big, or we'll run into memory issues.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!