Radom level generation

Started by
5 comments, last by Mallach 12 years, 5 months ago
Hi! I would like to learn about generating random levels for a game. Where should I start learning this from? What topics should I look into(and understand)? Recommendations for books,tutorials, examples and anything else that might help would also be great.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Some closely used and somewhat native files for C++, such as the timer header file, allows generation of random integers or such that you can use with a switch statement to randomly cycle through values and generate a level based on that random value.

I can elaborate more.
Here are some of articles dealing with "tilemap" type generation, rooms, caves, etc: linky

You can also look up Perlin Noise (or just "Noise" in general), Fractals, and Cellular Automata, these are often used in procedural generation.

Hi! I would like to learn about generating random levels for a game. Where should I start learning this from? What topics should I look into(and understand)? Recommendations for books,tutorials, examples and anything else that might help would also be great.

Thanks!

First off you should decide what kind of level structure you want. Tile based levels like most roguelikes, more open terrain with roads and towns/cities, cities themself or a 'standard' 3d game level ?

Choosing a tile based approach for example must not lead to an ascii representation, take a look at games like dungeons where you got a tile based structure with a 3d representation. An other tip is to use abstraction to simplify your structure. I.e a 3d level could consists of rectangular building blocks, each building block is designed by an artist and are connected by a level generation algorithm which only works with rectangular building blocks. The latter is often used when you need random generated levels with pretty and consistent visualisation.

Here's a link to the procedural content generation wiki, a good starting point.
If only people realized how much they over complicate simple questions. :)
Thanks for the replies! I'll check these out. By the way, I want to use it for something like "The Binding of Isaac" or for a platformer, so yeah its for dungeons more
than open terrain.
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Articles

Roguebasin has some nifty articles on dungeon generation, Just skip down to the "Map" section and you find info on different types of levels and themes.

Check out my project Astorum! https://www.facebook.com/Astrum-111692220617440

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement