• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HenryO'Callaghan

Help!

This topic is 2594 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I am new to the developing community and I was writing a small app for my french class and I need some help. I just can't figure it out. I want you to be able to select the menu and I can't get the syntax right. Tips on developing also welcome!

#include <iostream.h>

using namespace std;

int a;

int main(){

int b;

cout << "Welcome to the interactive Cafe Les Cinq E'Toiles Menu. Please Select 1 for Bevrages, 2 for Entrees, and 3 for Dessert.";
cin >> a;

if (a = 1)

cout << "Bevrage Menu. Cafe de Lait: 2€50 Cafe de Creme: 3€ ";
cin >> b;

else if (a = 2)

cout << "Entree Menu. ";
cin >> b;

else if (a = 3)

cout << "Dessert Menu. ";
cin>> b;

system("pause");

}

[size="1"]Poll removed, please see the forum FAQ. -- jpetrie

Advertisement
Well, your main problems lies in the fact that you use = in trying to compare values (= stands for assignment; you must use == for "equals" evaluation) and lack of {} to denote the bodies of the if statements. When you write an if statement without { } denoting the beginning and ending of it's body, it will only apply to the statement that follows immediately after it while the rest will be unaffected. For example, suppose you have the following

if(a == 1)
someStatement();
someOtherStatement();

in this case, someStatement() will be executed only if a equals 1, but someOtherStatement() will always be executed. In order to encompass more than two statements, you need to surround the body with {} like so

if(a == 1)
{
someStatement();
someOtherStatement();
}

in which case, both statements will execute only if a equals 1.

With both mistakes, I take it every statement executes, since a = 1, a = 2, and a = 3 will always result in a non-zero value, which is synonymous to "true" in C++.

Hi,

I am new to the developing community and I was writing a small app for my french class and I need some help. I just can't figure it out. I want you to be able to select the menu and I can't get the syntax right. Tips on developing also welcome!

#include <iostream.h>

using namespace std;

int a;

int main(){

int b;

cout << "Welcome to the interactive Cafe Les Cinq E'Toiles Menu. Please Select 1 for Bevrages, 2 for Entrees, and 3 for Dessert.";
cin >> a;

if (a = 1)

cin >> b;

else if (a = 2)

cout << "Entree Menu. ";
cin >> b;

else if (a = 3)

cin>> b;

system("pause");

}

Ah the infamous if ( var = val) bug.. *** Programmer achievement *** (only 5 points) I've spent many hours hunting these down. And they get harder to find the longer you look for it. Because in your head there is nothing logically wrong saying "If var equals val then...." So you tend to miss it. Gratz on that it's a programmers right of passage.

Programming tip:
You may want to consider a switch case statement instead of if(a) / else /if(a) / else. To be clear I am not saying you are doing anything wrong the way you are coding it. It just may be a bit cleaner using switch();

Keep coding!

Well, your main problems lies in the fact that you use = in trying to compare values (= stands for assignment; you must use == for "equals" evaluation) and lack of {} to denote the bodies of the if statements. When you write an if statement without { } denoting the beginning and ending of it's body, it will only apply to the statement that follows immediately after it while the rest will be unaffected. For example, suppose you have the following

if(a == 1)
someStatement();
someOtherStatement();

in this case, someStatement() will be executed only if a equals 1, but someOtherStatement() will always be executed. In order to encompass more than two statements, you need to surround the body with {} like so

if(a == 1)
{
someStatement();
someOtherStatement();
}

in which case, both statements will execute only if a equals 1.

With both mistakes, I take it every statement executes, since a = 1, a = 2, and a = 3 will always result in a non-zero value, which is synonymous to "true" in C++.

[quote name='daliberator' timestamp='1320893053' post='4882378']
Hi,

#include <iostream.h>

using namespace std;

int a;

int main(){

int b;

cin >> a;

if (a = 1)

cin >> b;

else if (a = 2)

cout << "Entree Menu. ";
cin >> b;

else if (a = 3)

cin>> b;

system("pause");

}

Ah the infamous if ( var = val) bug.. *** Programmer achievement *** (only 5 points) I've spent many hours hunting these down. And they get harder to find the longer you look for it. Because in your head there is nothing logically wrong saying "If var equals val then...." So you tend to miss it. Gratz on that it's a programmers right of passage.

Programming tip:
You may want to consider a switch case statement instead of if(a) / else /if(a) / else. To be clear I am not saying you are doing anything wrong the way you are coding it. It just may be a bit cleaner using switch();

Keep coding!
[/quote]

Thank you both so much! I fixed it and am so happy! I couldn't have done it without you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!