New To gamedev, Doubts

Started by
6 comments, last by LakshmiNarayanan 12 years, 5 months ago
hey guys,

Im glad i found this site, i came across the SDK, and how ppl mod the source engine to develop their games (i play cs 1.6 for like 8 years or so ).

http://www.gamedev.n...layer-mod-r2819

Being a pro gamer my thoughts crave not only towards playing tournaments etc but also creating games etc. (I am doing my final year Computer science engineering (UG). i know a bit of C and C++ but yeah what they teach in college (UG) is just basic )

So these are the Doubts: (Help me with the following points and suggest your own)

1. After reading few sites , i came to know that b4 getting into 3D , its best to start off with 2D. If its true how and where do i start? I already downloaded android SDK , JDK etc, So do i start with making a mobile app/game or something else?

2.I have no idea about python, i know basics of C, C++ and Java (just to the level they teach in college),what all languages i should know.

3. Do i make 2D games in java or c++ or some other language, Tell me tools i should use.

4. What is the difference between a game and an engine (if m not wrong games are developed on a set of codes-engines? ). and do we have to create a new engine to create our own game ?
Advertisement
#1: Start with something small such as iPhone or Android (I would go for iPhone). The important thing is to be able to make projects that give you immediate results that give you the motivation to keep working at it and learning.

#2: I would just go C and C++. You have a start, and you will need it in the industry.

#3: If you go Android then you might use Eclipse and Java. iPhone means buying a Macintosh computer, using Xcode, and using C/C++ (with a few lines of Objective-C).

#4: The engine does not know what a game is. It knows how to load resources and manage things, waiting for the game to come along and tell it what to load and manage.
The game is what makes the game. It takes all the resources for that game, uses the engine to load them, and uses its own logic to create the rules for that game.
No, but you should try to make reusable code as much as you can, always.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Thanks for your reply so you are suggesting me to start with 2D as well? Right now i have 2.3android phone not an iphone :(.
So since i have an android phone i should start off 2D games in java or do a c++ based game for pc ?
I would start off with a game that is 2D while on the side you are making learning-purpose apps in 3D.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Or work on a 2D game while browsing the other forums on here to get an idea of some topics and what not for the future when you start 3D.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

hey thanks a lot guys and can some one pls highlight me about the workshops (c#) happening here, i know im too late ,but how does it work? they download and learn from the book given in those links n post questions here? or the content to be studied is put in the forum itself?.
I just downloaded visual studio C# and XNA., going to start with a 2D game :)
If you don't want to be a graphics programmer there's not that huge a reason to have more than a basic knowledge of graphics programming. If you're comfortable with linear algebra you will be fine for the most part. The vast majority of things you need to learn for a 3D game can be learned much faster in 2D, and 2D games give you a much greater ability to focus on making the game fun if you have a small team.

If you're still in school I would definitely recommend the 2D game 3D tech demo route as you'll save time in the long run and end up with 2 impressive things instead of one less impressive thing.

That said, I would look at XNA, just java(not android), or C++. I wouldn't jump into android or iphone right away. Platform specific development will just complicate stuff for you right now; it's really easy to add platform specific knowledge to a strong general base, so build the base first. That said, I'd really recommend XNA/C# because there's so many tutorials and tools that make it really a pleasure to make games, and you don't have to worry about things that aren't making games.

You can prototype a full game in under a week with XNA, farseer, and the wide array of XNA samples there. It's just so easy and lets you really focus on making the game fun rather than making the game work.

Sidenote: I find that a lot of students want to make their awesome 3D multiplayer game idea as their final project. Don't do that. Remember to keep your scope realistic for both your skill level and your schedule and don't forget that a fun 2D game is more fun than a crap 3D game.

If you don't want to be a graphics programmer there's not that huge a reason to have more than a basic knowledge of graphics programming. If you're comfortable with linear algebra you will be fine for the most part. The vast majority of things you need to learn for a 3D game can be learned much faster in 2D, and 2D games give you a much greater ability to focus on making the game fun if you have a small team.

If you're still in school I would definitely recommend the 2D game 3D tech demo route as you'll save time in the long run and end up with 2 impressive things instead of one less impressive thing.

That said, I would look at XNA, just java(not android), or C++. I wouldn't jump into android or iphone right away. Platform specific development will just complicate stuff for you right now; it's really easy to add platform specific knowledge to a strong general base, so build the base first. That said, I'd really recommend XNA/C# because there's so many tutorials and tools that make it really a pleasure to make games, and you don't have to worry about things that aren't making games.

You can prototype a full game in under a week with XNA, farseer, and the wide array of XNA samples there. It's just so easy and lets you really focus on making the game fun rather than making the game work.

Sidenote: I find that a lot of students want to make their awesome 3D multiplayer game idea as their final project. Don't do that. Remember to keep your scope realistic for both your skill level and your schedule and don't forget that a fun 2D game is more fun than a crap 3D game.

Hey, thanks a lot , im gonna start off with C#.XNA and lol i did have a plan of making a game for final year project , probably an android app or something but then that was 2 months back, i changed my mind n started loooking into ieee papers :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement