• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thedodgeruk

engine running slow?

This topic is 2588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am writing an engine , its a uni project , so the whole year is doing it,

its in directx10

some peoples engine/projects the render time decreases rappidly the further away they go from a group of objects , they have no frustrum culling in there project

mine stays constant no matter how far away the objects are .

in theres it kind of look like since there are not as many pixels that can be drawn, the shader does not draw them , but on mine it does

any one any ideas what it could be

DepthStencilState DepthWritesOn // Write to the depth buffer - normal behaviour
{
DepthWriteMask = ALL;
};

i have that on so ithought this sorted my z buffer out , but does it ?

Advertisement
If you want your speed to go up as objects get smaller on your screen, use Phong lighting.
If you use vertex lighting, the weight is bore by the number of vertices on your screen, not the number of pixels being filled.

More generally, putting more work into your pixel shaders and less in your vertex shaders will imply faster speeds with smaller on-screen objects.

L. Spiro

One possible explanation is that the others are using mipmaps and you're not. That would cause a smaller texture level to be used for far away objects, which would in turn draw them faster.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!