• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cha0sBG

Starting with C++ and OpenGL

This topic is 2588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello fellow GD members, since i started to learn c++ i've been kinda bored . And one day i made a simple game, no graphics but the interesting thing was the engine that i worked on for quite awhile. It was nothing special , but after i knew how many hours i've spend working on it and to see the results afterwords was an amazing feeling. So now i would like to combine c++ and OpenGL and make a real project. I would like to develop everything in a game, just as a project and to further my skills as a programmer, so i would like to ask you , the people who have more experience in the matter, where do i start ? What tutorials do i watch, read, what are the best guides out there for developing OpenGL GUI's, 3d models , making a simple and then a bit more complex game. Anything will be of great help.

Advertisement
http://nehe.gamedev.net/
This is a great place to start with opengl. It teaches you many of the basics. The process of learning OpenGL is a long one so don't feel discouraged if you struggle through it. It will take time. Keep is simple to begin with and continue to add to that.

As with modeling, Blender is a good piece of software. You can find lots of good tutorials on blenders own website. Although blender is a fairly complicated program.
I have heard good things about Milkshape and Anim8tor as well. I haven't used them much but are simpler to use than blender.

If you want to do more interesting things with OpenGl I would reccomend you get experienced in math. Especially linear algebra.

Hope that helps.

NeHe is outdated and wrong. The world of 3D has changed massively from the days Nehe was relevant.

Sadly, no good predecessor has emerged.

i figure NeHe will be fine for now, as for the more interesting opengl stuff guess i'm lucky because im learning Linear Algebra at my college ^_^

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!