• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
musicon

DirectX 11, Hidef

This topic is 2593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Before I go fully into the games developing thing I need to check I will have the right resources for modern platforms. Firstly I have used XNA 4.0 with C# 2010, and a recurring problem is being told my graphics card does not support Hidef. I can use the Reach option but that does limit the effects available. I obviously need a graphics card with Hidef, preferrably one I can plug in without dismantling the whole hard drive.

Also as I am using an XP operating system I have DirectX 9 and can't seem to run anything in 10 or 11. Is this an impossibility with an XP? If it is I would have to upgrade to Windows 7 or restrict myself to older/lower quality graphics. And what is the score with XNA 4 on an XP.

Advertisement
and a recurring problem is being told my graphics card does not support Hidef[/quote]
Maybe its just an XNA thing but if you have any sort of modern computer (unless your outputting it to a tv with a svideo/component cables) should be capable of over 1080xblah resolution.

Also as I am using an XP operating system I have DirectX 9 and can't seem to run anything in 10 or 11. Is this an impossibility with an XP? If it is I would have to upgrade to Windows 7 or restrict myself to older/lower quality graphics.
[/quote]
Dx10/11 requires windows Vista or higher so yes you will need to upgrade. (edit: if thats important to you)

And what is the score with XNA 4 on an XP.[/quote]
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

The HiDef level does not require Windows Vista/7, or Direct3D 10/11. It DOES require a card that is capable of D3D 10 and 11. This is a bit of a coincidence in how PC hardware features stack up, but the point is you absolutely need a new GPU (since XNA understands high end GPU and phone, but nothing in between). You do not need a new OS, but it's a colossal waste to continue developing on XP.

Odds are that you're down for a whole new computer.

Thanks both. I was thinking of getting a new laptop anyway so will definitely go for Windows 7. I asked about XNA as it does of course rely on DirectX, though I would do mostly XNA games. DirectX is something I am learning but it takes a long time to figure out but I don't want to start down the wrong path not having the necessary hardware.

I use an XP at home because I prefer it over Vista and in some ways Windows 7 for day to day use. Clearly I need something with Windows 7 for development purposes though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!