• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DavidGLarsen

Lights not working in Unreal Editor [solved]

This topic is 2584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey. I'm new here, so I apologize if this is not the right category for the topic.
I have a problem with lights in Unreal Editor for UT3. I've followed a couple of basic tutorials, but when I get to placing lights, it doesn't work. None of my lights show up in the "lit" mode, and the "lighting only" mode turns everything in the level completely black.
I've tried building the light, and it doesn't give me any errors (When it's finished and the map checker shows up, it's empty, but I don't know how it's supposed to look).

It's a fresh install with default settings, and the pretty much only thing I've done with it is open it up, play with the subtractive brush, and placed a couple of lights.

Any ideas?

Here's a screenshot:
[attachment=6089:scrnsht.jpg]

In case it's relevant, my graphics card is a Nvidia GTX 460.

Advertisement
Theres a few things to consider first.

1. Are you viewing it with Lights being rendered. I understand you can see where the little bulb is, but at the top I believe the little Icon which looks like a light bulb is used for rendering light on the current scene. If I am not mistaken.

2. What are the lights properties/values. That little bulb may be in place but you may need to alter the values going on. Sometimes defaults set things to exponentially low numbers, in this case I know that Unity for awhile set spot/directional/omni(area) lights to .01 until it was fixed. Maybe the light you have in place is set to only highlight set surfaces like a projection light, or your using the light for mapping and chose the wrong light tool.

Without knowing and seeing the file first hand theres very little we can do. However there is something that you can try. Go down this list.

1. If I recreate the item do I still have the same error?
2. Have I checked all the properties associated with the light and checked its math values?
3. Have I ensured that its not linked/grouped with a subshader or subrender which will not show in the preview and only show in post processing?
4. Have I ensured that its not on a projection map or used for blending and it is a directional/spotlight/omni/area/bloom effect.

This topic is 2584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.