• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarekZegarek

Help with trailer

7 posts in this topic

Hello :)

Could anyone help me and check this text for my game trailer? It has been checked, but I have to be perfectly sure it is ok. :)

Attack, no matter the casualties - the most important thing is they have to bleed out before us. (note from me - is it ok in grammar way and do You get the point that some guy doesn't care about his army and he cares only for destroy (bleed out) his enemies?)

It is not a game about good guys...

In 3 really unpleasant planets...

With 22 technologies... (do you know what the sonic emitter does with your liver?)

Against 20 types of 8280 enemies...

You will find what the war really is

[quote name='Znafca' timestamp='1321278513' post='4883755']
1. Attack, no matter the casualties - the most important thing is they have to bleed out before us. (note from me - is it ok in grammar way and do You get the point that some guy doesn't care about his army and he cares only for destroy (bleed out) his enemies?)
2. It is not a game about good guys...
3. In 3 really unpleasant planets...
4. With 22 technologies... (do you know what the sonic emitter does with your liver?)
5. Against 20 types of 8280 enemies...
6. You will find what the war really is
[/quote]
1. Attack at all costs and take no prisoners. It's them or us.
2. This is not a game for nice guys... {not sure what the context is}
3. On three garbage pit planets...
Or: On three hellhole planets...
4. With 22 unique weapons... (do you know what the sonic emitter does to your liver?)
5. {I don't understand what this means}
6. You will find what war really is.

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1321334976' post='4884060']
1. Attack, no matter the casualties - the most important thing is they have to bleed out before us. (note from me - is it ok in grammar way and do You get the point that some guy doesn't care about his army and he cares only for destroy (bleed out) his enemies?)
4. With 22 technologies... (do you know what the sonic emitter does with your liver?)
[/quote]
4. With 22 unique weapons... (do you know what the sonic emitter does to your liver?)
[/quote]

1. It is ok, but it is not "fun". The context is - we hear a general (it is quote) who told his army that they has to attack no matter the cost because the only thing he cares about is that they have to destroy (bleed out) their enemies before they destroy them (yes, he is really evil).

2. The context is "It is not a game about good guys" so we don't play in this game good heroes, who rescue princess, but killing, exploiting and destroying everything. So my sentence is still wrong?

3. My version is not correct? Maybe "On" (not in) 3 really unpleasant planets...

4. not "with your liver" but "to your liver"? ok, I will change this.

5. It means against 20 types (20 different, unique units) of 8280 (this is their amount in the whole game) enemies.

6. Not "the war" or "a war"? And "find", but not "find out"?

1. This is usually called "war of attrition". But "bleed out" or "bleed dry" is good too.

2. Good guys vs. Nice guys: "Nice guys" is better here because it is about the personality, the flavor, of the player and the game. This is what you are selling. "Good guys" would be ok if you were talking specifically about the characters in the game universe. You could say something like "Good guys? They died first. There are no good guys in [universe name]."

3. On planets, never in. "Garbage pit" and "hellhole" are better, more exciting ways to say "really unpleasant".

4. "Have you seen what a sonic emitter can do to a man's liver?"

5. "More than eight thousand enemies in twenty unique varieties." But sentences about numbers are not usually good advertising.

6. You will learn what war really is. OR You will discover what war really is. OR You will learn the brutal truth of war.
(The word "really" is weak because it is so commonly used it is almost meaningless.)

[quote name='Znafca' timestamp='1321336054' post='4884064']
6a. Not "the war" or "a war"?
6b.And "find", but not "find out"?
[/quote]
6a. Yes.
6b. "Find out" is OK. I didn't mean to omit "out." Sun is right about "really." "Really" is really lame.

[quote name='Tom Sloper' timestamp='1321334976' post='4884060']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Reminder: Ask Tom for trailer text advise. He really nails it.

With 22 technologies... (do you know what the sonic emitter does with your liver?)
[/quote]

Just a small tip. When your designing the game make sure your weapons would scientifically work. Im not saying you have to actually make it a working model or whatever, i mean it more in the sense that when in Star Trek, they say fire the photon torpedo, its essentially a flash light....