• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
forginglifegame

Forging Life - An indie RPG game

This topic is 2472 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all

Our first vid, an alpha preview, just to show some of the gameplay and the world.
Its an indie development project of a role playing sandbox game called Forging Life.

Its a single player, survival game that challenges the player to choose his own path.

Some keywords describing the game:
- Skill based
- Plant growth
- Advanced crafting
- Actions will have consequences
- No spawning animals, breed or die.
- Free sandbox gameplay: No quests, no choosen one role.

More features and info at: Forging Life - An indie RPG game

Well to the point, here is the video.

[media]
[/media]

Advertisement
Your game looks great to a newbie like me! :)

The concept, as gleaned from the blog post you linked on your site, is quite interesting. If you can make it fun, I can see it becoming popular. However, that's a very daunting "if." I, for one, sincerely hope you can pull it off!!!

As a GURPS player who despises Dungeons and Dragon's video game reality, I can appreciate complexity in my RPG -- but, in my opinion, you went just a bit overboard. Splitting intelligence into 5-7 different attributes? Yikes.

GURPS has only one type of intelligence, but has numerous advantages and disadvantages to modify it so that a character can be a high-IQ social introvert, or a low-IQ creative genius. You may wish to consider something like that.

The English writing on your Web site, however, leaves much to be desired. That's completely forgivable knowing English isn't your native language and the the page is in its infancy.

I'd be happy to donate some time to the cause, if you'd appreciate some help with your Web site. Just let me know and I'll go through it with a fine-tooth comb. Also, I could offer some more of my opinions about the game, but only if you wanted to hear them. I realize you want to make your game as you envision.

Good luck, in any case!

-Sharpe

Very cool. I have had a similar idea for a while now - except in mine you could build traps to capture animals, use basic tools to hunt etc. Also, mine wasn't planned to be 3d. :P Which technologies are you using for this? Also, I notice that your names are Scandinavian? Where are you guys from?

Your game looks great to a newbie like me! :)

The concept, as gleaned from the blog post you linked on your site, is quite interesting. If you can make it fun, I can see it becoming popular. However, that's a very daunting "if." I, for one, sincerely hope you can pull it off!!!

As a GURPS player who despises Dungeons and Dragon's video game reality, I can appreciate complexity in my RPG -- but, in my opinion, you went just a bit overboard. Splitting intelligence into 5-7 different attributes? Yikes.

GURPS has only one type of intelligence, but has numerous advantages and disadvantages to modify it so that a character can be a high-IQ social introvert, or a low-IQ creative genius. You may wish to consider something like that.

The English writing on your Web site, however, leaves much to be desired. That's completely forgivable knowing English isn't your native language and the the page is in its infancy.

I'd be happy to donate some time to the cause, if you'd appreciate some help with your Web site. Just let me know and I'll go through it with a fine-tooth comb. Also, I could offer some more of my opinions about the game, but only if you wanted to hear them. I realize you want to make your game as you envision.

Good luck, in any case!

-Sharpe

Hi Sharpe.

Thanks for the great feed back, appreciate it.

We would like to hear more about the advantages and disadvantages, sounds like a interesting idea. Cant really remember much from GRUPS, we also played it, but its serveal years ago now - we were more into MERP, and trying to make our own RPG's.
But regarding the intelligence, then our is devided into 3 litteral, logical og social. And we find that resonable for a couple of reasons. In real life, to very intelligent people - lets say they are a journalist and a computer scientist, they both have high intelligence, but they are intelligent in two different ways. My wife is a journalist, and very clever, but I can spend hours and hours explaining math stuff for her - but she dont get it. She corrects my writing - and i dont get it. That difference in the intelligence is used in our skill based game. And ofc the social int, is obvious.

Regarding the help with the web site, you are welcome to give us advice and a helping hand :) . We are software developers in out professionel life, but both mainly work on backend - not so much the web :)

Thanks.
Anders

Very cool. I have had a similar idea for a while now - except in mine you could build traps to capture animals, use basic tools to hunt etc. Also, mine wasn't planned to be 3d. :P Which technologies are you using for this? Also, I notice that your names are Scandinavian? Where are you guys from?

Hello

We are also planning traps, and hunting is ofc nessary to get food - unless you want to live as a vegetarian and only eat what you grow and harvest :)

We are indeed scandinavian - both from Denmark.

Cheers

Anders

Hi Sharpe.

Thanks for the great feed back, appreciate it.

We would like to hear more about the advantages and disadvantages, sounds like a interesting idea. Cant really remember much from GRUPS, we also played it, but its serveal years ago now - we were more into MERP, and trying to make our own RPG's.
But regarding the intelligence, then our is devided into 3 litteral, logical og social. And we find that resonable for a couple of reasons. In real life, to very intelligent people - lets say they are a journalist and a computer scientist, they both have high intelligence, but they are intelligent in two different ways. My wife is a journalist, and very clever, but I can spend hours and hours explaining math stuff for her - but she dont get it. She corrects my writing - and i dont get it. That difference in the intelligence is used in our skill based game. And ofc the social int, is obvious.

Regarding the help with the web site, you are welcome to give us advice and a helping hand :) . We are software developers in out professionel life, but both mainly work on backend - not so much the web :)

Thanks.
Anders

Sounds great, Anders! I'd be proud to help in any way I can.

For five years, I too was a journalist. Actually, a staff writer at a newspaper -- which is a glorified way of saying "reporter." At one time, my coverage of a high-profile murder case was rather well known across the tri-state area.

Like your wife, math is my weakest suit.

So, I totally understand what you're saying. Even Dungeons and Dragons divides cognition into Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma and that RPG system is mostly all about hacking monsters and looting dungeons. So, I don't at all disagree that intelligence needs to be categorized.

However, your game seems to be something of a hunter-gatherer simulation. Perhaps I'm wrong; most of what I know about your game is gleaned from the review linked on your site. In such a game, fringe aspects of human intelligence take a back seat to fundamental survival. Who cares if Ogg the barbarian is an artistic savant and can paint beautiful pictures on his cave's wall or can capture a breathtaking sunrise in eloquent prose? That isn't nearly as important as being able to find edible roots that won't poison him or stalk and spear a gazelle with the stealth, guile, and skilled precision of a wizened huntsman.

In such a game, the vast majority of players aren't going to invest much in social intelligence. Thus, it will be largely ignored in favor of whatever intelligence makes their character "better" in game play.

That's where I base my suggestion of having less primary attributes while still being able to fully micro-customize the player's character down to minuscule detail with advantages and disadvantages. You can thus make Ogg the barbarian into a poet-artisan without making him less able to hunt and gather.

But, I digress. You should make the game as you envision it. My offer to help with the English composition of your Web site stands alone.

Tell you what, let's take this to PM. I don't want to derail your announcement thread, which is better reserved for game updates and news.

I'll PM you soon. :)

Hi

I just added ambilight to the world [color=#333333][font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif] to make the lightning a bit more realistic[/font], and it actually looks better. You can now see the morning is a bit more bright than it is in the video, plus the shadow areas on the objects and trees, are more lit up.

As day progress, i'll tone down the ambilight a bit. (not implemented in the pics)

Morning:
morning.jpg

Daylight
day.jpg

Evening:
evening.jpg

A new screenshot... Grass moving on the wind. (Well, the moving part will have to wait to be shown until the next video).

We are not entirely happy with the grass yet, but a few new textures and the right size will do it..

grass.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!