• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mmurphy

[D3D9] Rendering a grid through a shader

This topic is 2590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For my background I was considering rendering a grid, although I wanted to do it through a shader. Is there any possible way to do this?

Advertisement
Yes - everything rendered this days is done through a shader (the fixed-function pipeline is merely an emulation layer running on top of in-built shaders), can you be more specific?

e.g. would you like to render a quad, but use a pixel shader to determine if individual pixels are covered by grid lines or not?

Ah yes, sorry about that. I suppose I was rather vague in the topic. I was just curious if there was a way to just render only grid lines through the shader.

would you like to render a quad, but use a pixel shader to determine if individual pixels are covered by grid lines or not?[/quote]

That would be interesting to know, how would that be possible?

If you are trying to render it in 3D, you might find this old post in my journal interesting: here. It describes a way to draw lines on a surface from within a pixel shader, and it should be able to be adapted to meet your needs.

If you are trying to render it in 3D, you might find this old post in my journal interesting: here. It describes a way to draw lines on a surface from within a pixel shader, and it should be able to be adapted to meet your needs.

That looks very interesting and by checking out so far looks like exactly what I was looking for

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!