• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AsimmHirani

Starting Out (almost)

This topic is 2588 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been programming for about 2 years now, I am used to OOP and compiled code as opposed to interpreted scripts (though I will use perl and python on a regular basis). I have dabbled in game development using C# and XNA but it turned out that I was either a very bad programmer or C# was not my style. I want to keep C++ and asm for my game development as well. The reason why I am posting is that there appears to be little community (or web) help for directx graphics and sound programming. Even though I am good at C++ in general, I don't know the graphics aspect of C++ and would like to learn (preferably without a book) how to do it.

Advertisement
C++ doesn't have a graphics aspect (I can't think of a programming language that does). You access graphics hardware through a library's API. At the lowest level, most graphics cards expose their capabilities through either DirectX or OpenGL (or extensions for these). However, these APIs will be tricky for a beginner -- it will be a much smoother process to use a higher-level library that is built on top of them (like SFML or SDL). I highly recommend making several 2D games before trying your hand at 3D.

Another thing to realize is that C++ is not a good language to begin with. It's a very complicated language, though it doesn't often seem that way at first (hence why many beginners, my younger self included, felt we were "good at C++ in general" and later discovered that this was not yet the case). I highly recommend Python for getting started (you can use PyGame or the Python SFML port or some other library for graphics). You'll learn actual programming concepts faster, as well as finish suitably scoped projects much quicker. Don't fall for the "C++ is the only REAL way to make games" myth.

I have been programming for about 2 years now, I am used to OOP and compiled code as opposed to interpreted scripts (though I will use perl and python on a regular basis). I have dabbled in game development using C# and XNA but it turned out that I was either a very bad programmer or C# was not my style. I want to keep C++ and asm for my game development as well. The reason why I am posting is that there appears to be little community (or web) help for directx graphics and sound programming. Even though I am good at C++ in general, I don't know the graphics aspect of C++ and would like to learn (preferably without a book) how to do it.

I would run through this C++ with SFML tutorial, which although not done, already covers basically everything you need to create a basic game in ( imho, although admittedly biased ) good C++ code. After that, all I can say is take what you've learned, create your own project and jump in with both feet. Using a library like SFML or SDL for 2D work will keep your hassles to a minimum, and both have good communities and supporting documentation, in addition of course to Gamedev.net.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!