• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BlackSunStudios

DirectX Visual C# installation. Please Help!? :)

This topic is 2585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. I need help in installing DirectX for Visual C#.
I have the sdk installed into vista but it wont work in Visual. I have the include folder but all the files are .h files and they dont work with visual c# for some reason. Help?

Advertisement
.h files are for C and C++. C# is a totally different language, and doesn't use .h files at all.

If you want to use C#, download XNA or SlimDX.

If you want to use DirectX, use C++.

.h files are for C and C++. C# is a totally different language, and doesn't use .h files at all.

If you want to use C#, download XNA or SlimDX.

If you want to use DirectX, use C++.

I think you can get the Direct3D library, which works in C#, outside of XNA.

Check this tutorial out OP: http://gregs-blog.com/2008/02/26/managed-directx-c-graphics-tutorial-1-getting-started/

You may also find something called Managed DirectX, which works under C#. But, stick to what Nypyren suggested because Managed DirectX has been deprecated for a loooong time. If you're just starting to learn it (which I guess you are), then better start directly with something what has a future.

Edit: Funnily enought, it took me too long to type the post and somebody managed to notice MDX before me. Making my post more important and relevant :)

Stay away from MDX. As others have noted, it was Microsoft's attempt at creating a wrapper for DirectX for managed environments. For whatever reason it was abandoned and eventually (kind of) replaced with XNA. XNA is more of a games framework than a graphics framework though.

If you're looking for a managed wrapper around DirectX, look at SlimDX. I've been using it for over a year and I highly recommend it. Another option is SharpDX.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!