• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Spencer_Holmes

OpenGL Difficulty linking the system32 folder in visual studio 2010

This topic is 2579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I am a lecturer in computer games development at college level. I am about to teach my students opengl. I have linked visual studio 2010 to the include and lib folders for the opengl .h and .lib needed files but I cannot add the needed files to the system32 folder on the college network because it administrator passworded. The problem is without adding the .dll files to the system32 folder I wont be able t work n opengl with them. I was wondering however, is there someone out there who knows how, in visual studio 2010, I can point it to another folder which isnt administrator passworded and put the files in there to use?

You help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you

S

Advertisement
I believe that the only needed files in the system32 folder are "opengl.dll" and glu32.dll", both of which are included with the Windows installation. You shouldn't have to link to anything in that folder.

All I do to use GL in a project is to go the Project Properties in the Project menu and then Configuration Properties->Linker->Input and add "OpenGL32.lib" (and if using, "glu32.lib" and "glew32.lib") to the Additional Dependencies field. Of course, making sure to add the lib and header directories.

Any dll in the Windows folder is loaded at start up and any other dll should be put in your project's folder.

[size=2]The .dll files I need access to which are in the system32 folder are: glu32.dll, glut.dll, glut32.dll, opengl32.dll. So do you think if I put the previous four files in the project folder the program will compile and their will be no need to add them to the system32 folder?

Thank you

What I and others are trying to tell you is that you do not need to access those dlls. Visual Studio links to them automatically. Follow the instructions I posted to link your linker to the appropriate .lib files, make sure to add the appropriate lib and header directories and you are set. The only time you need to worry about a dll is if it isn't included with Windows, as with GLEW. In that case, make sure to put the dll in your project directory and Visual Studio will find and link to it without any outside assistance.

That really is all you need to know unless you plan on writing your own dll or directly linking to the code contained within a dll. In the case of OpenGL, you don't have to think about the dlls at all. Just link to the .obj files.

glut.dll and glut32.dll are not part of OpenGL. They are 3rd party helper libraries for openGL programmers. If you want to make use of GLUT, then you should download those files (either the source-code versions, or pre-built versions) and add them to your Visual Studio project. They should be distributed alongside any EXE files that you produce.

Opengl32.dll and glu32.dll belong in System32, and they should already exist in all windows installations, as these files are actually a part of the operating system. There should be no need for you to put anything into System32, or to try and link against anything in System32, or to have to copy these files out of System32.

Your compiler should provide you with opengl32.lib (and on windows, also provide you with glu32.lib), which you should be able to link against automatically. Your application will then dynamically link against the OS's installed openGL driver automatically.

The .dll files I need access to which are in the system32 folder are: glu32.dll, glut.dll, glut32.dll, opengl32.dll. So do you think if I put the previous four files in the project folder the program will compile and their will be no need to add them to the system32 folder?

Thank you

You should probably read the link that I gave.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!