• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jfalstaff

modeling the classes

This topic is 2584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure if this belongs here, but it's a newbish questions, so here it goes...

I'm writing a development document to refine what it is I'm trying to do, the steps to getting it done and how the various components of the game objects interact. I'm wanting some visual tools to help with this, so is there a class modeling tool that is recommended by anyone? I'm looking at UML, but I'm not sure how much overkill that may be for what I'm trying to do.

Advertisement
I usually write out a long description of the whole game and its objects and what they can do and then use a pencil and some paper to draw them out in a class diagram, or whatever diagram I feel is appropriate, by extracting parts of the description. Usually only takes an hour at most

I dont really like UML, it feels far to Java-enterprisey for me and isn't really condusive to my style of working. When I am formalizing my concepts, I break out the UML, but when it comes to "idea sketching" I find it overkill and kind slow. Before I moved I had a 10x8 whiteboard in my basement office and I absolutely loved it. Now that I am in a condo and my office is < 10x8 in size... that is obviously not ideal.

These days I use a combination of VS2k11 beta and OneNote, but neither is ideal.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!