• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
meanwhile

Software rendering

This topic is 2580 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for 100% software-rendered 3D games/demos. Specifically, those that show a pracrical number of objects/polygons and not just some sphere rotating in the middle of the screen. Do they even exist? Is that even possible?

Advertisement

I am looking for 100% software-rendered 3D games/demos. Specifically, those that show a pracrical number of objects/polygons and not just some sphere rotating in the middle of the screen. Do they even exist? Is that even possible?

I did this: http://www.progsch.net/applets/proto.html a few weeks back. It's a java heightfield/voxel renderer. So I can't give you an number of how many "polygons" there are. I guess i'll update the web version. The newest version can also display a bunch of objects in the world (voxel objects...) and runs higher resolution. This might not be actual "production code" but it's a java software renderer that runs reasonably on my Netbook... So it at least proves the point of feasibility I guess.

I've got a prototype-ish fully software render written in C++. It takes so much work to turn into an actual game that I've never even gone there.
One of the things that I was most proud of with it is that I managed to get the floating point divide per span for free in exactly the same way that the original quake does, except that I didn't resort to using assembly!

The best software 3D renderer of all time is pixomatic. It's used in Unreal Tournament (up to UT2004 I believe) as the fallback renderer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!