• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

Shock Wave or Ripple Effect ?

This topic is 2577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a shock wave or ripple effect, it doesn't have to be physically accurate, it just needs to look cool.

It's for a top down shooter, I render in 3D but it's a fixed camera so it's pretty much 2D, I use textured quads for all my particles and explosions.

I really have no idea where to start.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS - I'm using D3D9 and HLSL

Advertisement
You can render the scene to a texture T1 and draw another texture T2 with a displacement map, where you draw an expanding circle. The final image is produced by rendering a single quad over the screen, with a pixel shader that applies the offset from T2 to the coordinates before picking a color from T1.

That's where I would start.

I recommend alvaro's approach. It seems you are going for a full screen post processing effet. I used this method when adding water/swimming view back into quake4 in my mod. you take a frame hit but it isn't really noticable to the player.

Just know that this has to be the very last thing done or you will see items not get affected by the distortion wave and it will break things.

another method would be that if you want the wave to only affect floor geometry then you have to apply a displacement shader to the floors that only does anything when the effect is triggered.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!