Just Starting GameDev

Started by
5 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 5 months ago
I've been looking into making a game for some time now, I have a great idea which I've been thinking on for a while. The issue is that i don't know what language to use and how to go about makeing my game. I've heard LUA would probably be my best choice. My game is going to by a 3D first person and overview type survival, strategy game. And for lack of better words use a form of voxel, though not necessarily.

If you have any ideas as to what programs i should use for optimal performance and stability please post.
Advertisement
Well C++ is certainly a good choice, its fast and commonly used.
You can use LUA as a scripting language for it.
go start using Unity. if anything it will be easier to get to game making status with that engine's free license option for now. Use C++ or C#. C++ requires a bit more care with memory management than C#.
Optimal performance and stability are concerns you shouldn't worry about until you are a much more experienced programmer.

I would strongly advise against C++ if you are new to programming. Pick up an existing engine and use its scripting tools if at all possible. C# and XNA are a good starting point if you really want to go to all the extraneous effort of rolling your own engine and tools.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Start here, it should, um... get you started.

ApochPiQ is right, performance and stability should be the least of your concerns. Also, C++ and stability? ;)
in my defense, I did say that c++ required more care than c#.

I personally don't subscribe to learning with scripting. I'd still recommend c# or java over scripting but that is my opinion.

in my defense, I did say that c++ required more care than c#.

I personally don't subscribe to learning with scripting. I'd still recommend c# or java over scripting but that is my opinion.

Although metrics are hard to come by, scripting has been validated as one of the quickest and most effective way to learn programming, especially in an interactive environment ( aka, if you can run/interact with code "live" ).

That said, I would recommend a strongly typed language personally.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement