2d game for Mac OS X

Started by
11 comments, last by ms75214 12 years, 5 months ago
What technology should I use to create a 2d game for Mac OS X?
Advertisement
Many 2D frameworks work on OS X, for example SFML and SDL. With frameworks like that you also get cross platform compatibility for free. I haven't used SFML much, but it's nicer if you're doing C++ development. SDL is also a bit of extra work on OS X while SFML is very simple.

Many 2D frameworks work on OS X, for example SFML and SDL. With frameworks like that you also get cross platform compatibility for free. I haven't used SFML much, but it's nicer if you're doing C++ development. SDL is also a bit of extra work on OS X while SFML is very simple.

Tried SFML. Got this error:

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z449/m75214/Screenshot2011-11-18at43516PM.png

Any ideas?

[quote name='patrrr' timestamp='1321612417' post='4885277']

http://i1190.photobu...18at43516PM.png

Any ideas?
[/quote]

SFML is awesome. I recommend it. But I've never seen that error. Can you explain in detail exactly what you did?
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Have you considered using CodeBlocks and/or CMake instead of XCode?

I recently took a look at Xcode 4.1, and I have @15 years experience, and found it extremely unintuitive, it would simply be a nightmare for a dev. Especially when you google about anything and most answer simply come back XCode 4.1 sucks, use 3.x.

Seriously, just eliminate an initial complexity and use something more straight forward. I did eventually get Xcode to compile my SFML project, but it was by no means a straight forward task.

[quote name='ms75214' timestamp='1321663201' post='4885473']
[quote name='patrrr' timestamp='1321612417' post='4885277']

http://i1190.photobu...18at43516PM.png

Any ideas?
[/quote]

SFML is awesome. I recommend it. But I've never seen that error. Can you explain in detail exactly what you did?
[/quote]

I just opened the .xcodeproj file and clicked run.

Eventually got it to work by changing SDK to 10.6 in like 8 places and changing gcc version from 4.0 to 4.2 in a bunch of places.

Anyhow, even though it builds now, nothing happens when I run. Was hoping for a demo. Did I miss something? Or, is there really no demo in that .xcodeproj?

Thanks.
There are some samples somewhere. But its a library. You don't run a library. You'll need to link your code to the built library in order to use it. Are you familiar with how to do that?
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Have you considered using CodeBlocks and/or CMake instead of XCode?

I recently took a look at Xcode 4.1, and I have @15 years experience, and found it extremely unintuitive, it would simply be a nightmare for a dev. Especially when you google about anything and most answer simply come back XCode 4.1 sucks, use 3.x.

Seriously, just eliminate an initial complexity and use something more straight forward. I did eventually get Xcode to compile my SFML project, but it was by no means a straight forward task.

I disagree. Unintuitive is a subjective, not factual term. For someone who is used to either CodeBlocks or Visual Studio or Eclipse, XCode is certainly different, but that doesn't make it a nightmare. Personally I find myself less productive with Eclipse. So that said, learning ANY tool as part of another project makes the entire endeavor less than straightforward. Suggesting different tools simply because you don't like XCode is a religious argument.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round

There are some samples somewhere. But its a library. You don't run a library. You'll need to link your code to the built library in order to use it. Are you familiar with how to do that?

No, I don't know how to do that. I know how to link to a built-in Framework like OpenGL but not to a third party one.

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1321725455' post='4885664']

No, I don't know how to do that. I know how to link to a built-in Framework like OpenGL but not to a third party one.
[/quote]

Follow these instructions and let me know if you get stuck. I recommend using SFML version 1.6, as version 2.0 is still under development and the API changes (which would be difficult for beginner to cope with).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement