Looking for a general C# introductory crash course video

Started by
6 comments, last by sharpe 12 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys first post, hopefully not the last as i'd really love to evolve as a programmer, I'm taking a bit of a side step away from my usual work as a 3d artist.

ANYWAY!..

Poked around the site a bit and couldn't find any posts regarding a good introductory video(s) covering how to jump into C#. I'm of the opinion that the best way to learn is to just go at it and teach yourself but honestly i just don't know where to begin. I need to saturate myself in the syntax and general functionality of c# and object based programming before I can start poking around on my own with any success. I ask for a video because when i read tutorials my mind tends to wander and I don't pick up much.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Do you have any programming experience at all?

I don't know of any videos since I don't learn well that way, but knowing our target audience will help us give better advice.
Thanks you for the interest!

I took some mel scripting classes in school and did some rather extensive mod work for starcraft 2 using their trigger system in the galaxy editor that gave me some good practice with various systems such as for loops, switches, all that jazz and general theory. I created custom movement and weapons systems but i'll be the first to admit that's just some scripting. I also have a pretty strong mathematics background including geometry and calculus from high school that has helped me immensly with creating said systems.

Here's a link to a video of the starcraft mod I made:

I've also done some kismet work in the unreal editor that got me an honorable mention for best FPS mod in the Make Something unreal challenge.

I've had enough success in my light dabbelings into scripting to know i have an aptitude for it, but I know there's a giant mountain to climb in front of me and that it may take several months before I'm able to really contribute to any sort of project in a beneficial manner.

Might as well post a little more background while I'm at it (why not?). I'm working with a buddy of mine who's a bit more than 2 years deep into programming and he's incredibly talented, lucky as hell to be on this small 2 man team. The game is already more or less playable with optimized net code. What the game lacks are the bulk of the components and bells and whistles to flush out the gameplay. I do all the art (for now) and a good bulk of the game design but i'm sorta just sitting here twiddeling my thumbs a lot of the time. I don't have a job but i'm incredibly excited for our mod and I don't mind living broke if that means contributing more. That's where learning programming is going to come in so I can develop systems to go along with core gameplay functionality that i've already got more or less thought out. I also just love the empowering feeling you get from creating your own content. I absolutely fell in love with creating inovative gameplay systems and the thought of having more control over them, though daunting, is something I absolutely want to persue.

Again thanks for your guys' time!
First of all, I'm a total beginner so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Secondly, you'll probably be told that unless you're a savant, you don't get to skip the learning curve. There is no programming crash course. Time and time again, it's been said here and elsewhere that it takes years of hard work to become a programmer. Most often, a decade gets thrown around as a rough estimate.

That doesn't mean you can't get a decent little game out in less time, but this "crash course" idea probably isn't the best way to go about things.

You must first learn to program, then learn to make games (or help make games in your case).

Otherwise, for making your own games without learning to program in C#, you would use some type of game maker (like RPG Maker VX for RPG's). That's not a bad thing! game makers can create awesome games of all sorts if you find the tools right for you.

Your 3D artistic ability and natural aptitude will help you, but with no programming experience, you've got to start from the beginning like everyone else. I have no talents at all and am pretty dim. It's been about a month and a half of long, hard work, and I've not made even a simple 2D game. Or, even close.

To learn C# programming basics, I used this tutorial: http://csharp.net-tu...s/introduction/

I also look at this tutorial on very rare occasion: http://www.freewebs....a/tutorials.htm

Posters here helped me more than those tutorials by a long shot, but I first had to learn the basics on my own so I knew what questions to ask.

Before you do any work with graphics, I would learn how to use everything in that first tutorial well. Be prepared to spend months doing so.

Just another newbie's two cents!

-Sharpe
A 30-year-old interested in learning to program by making an old-school, simple, text-only or 2D dungeon fantasy video game.

• As of 9/28/2011, currently attempting to learn the basics of Python 2.7.
  • As of 10/14/11, Dabbling in C#.
  • As of 10/24/11, decisively surpassed my small knowledge of Python in C#.
Rockin' thanks for the links Sharpe i will most definitely go over them. You're right, i'm probably understating the long road it's going to take to be adequate in this field, but if i'm not optimistic now i'm never going to take the first steps. It's easy to think about how far i've pushed myself in art, how i'm getting older and starting this is stupid, but whatever, I'm still thrilled at the prospect. I'm not abandoning art by any means but this will keep me busy in the meantime while i maintain excitement for the current project. Time will tell if us budding programmers make it or not, lord knows how many kids i've seen show up in the 3d art part of town only to disapear over the course of a day or two.

I'm quickly realizing there's a reason there are no definitive tutorials out there, there's just too much to cover, so many methods so many things to do with this, let alone the breadth of languages to cover. I guess my hope is that in a few months time i can write haphazard code with general theory and purpose behind it that my buddy can later optimize to fit within the game engine. But I digress.

Can't say this thread was a lost cause because right now i'm just learning how to learn this stuff. Going to poke around in some other projects and just see how things work and interconnect. Again thanks for your guys' time.
I guess my hope is that in a few months time i can write haphazard code with general theory and purpose behind it that my buddy can later optimize to fit within the game engine.

Never having made a game, let alone worked with a team or partnership, I'd guess not. I'd guess no one can be of any real "help" to your friend on your game at all unless they're at roughly his same level. Otherwise, he'd be able to write whatever junk code you can shamble together much, much more quickly and much more optimally from scratch than he could if he were fixing yours. Yours will be quite dissimilar to his even down to the conceptual level. Personally, I just don't think that you'll ever be any help to him in the coding process on this game. You'll have the current game long finished and be through a number of other projects as well before you're at his current level, probably.

You'll probably just want to start making your own game on the side when you get to that point. He'll no doubt be an invaluable resource to you doing so, if you're still even communicating that far into the future. :lol:

And, by no means is getting started something that should take months; personally, I'd start writing code right now! My first "game" was a guess the number game and I did that my first day. Then, I started making a little text-based RPG. That's where I am now.

Do you have MS Visual Studio C# 2010 Express or whatever installed now? I'd suggest going ahead and downloading and installing that if not. Write your "Hello, world!" program now, seriously. :)

Good luck!
A 30-year-old interested in learning to program by making an old-school, simple, text-only or 2D dungeon fantasy video game.

Haha, have some faith Sharpe! This wasn't my idea to start helping with the coding, this was actually buddy's, he seemed to think i could start contributing in a month or so (though i wouldn't be surprised if he was yanking my chain to get me on this path). I am indeed downloading express studio just finished right now!

But enough talk! It's time to start looking over code, modifying code, writing code, generating syntax errors, and maybe figuring out how to fix them ;)

PEACE!
Keep us updated! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement