"Object Model"?

Started by
1 comment, last by deus.ex.nova 12 years, 5 months ago
Sorry, real quick question. I sometimes see when comparing game engines that they list "object model" as a feature, particularly in terms of scripting. Does that just mean that their scripts are modeled around the principles of object-oriented programming? I was reading an article just recently about comparing game engines for "serious games", and I noticed that it listed Cryengine 3 as having an "object model" under the scripting category, while Unreal 3 did not. I know Unreal 3 uses its own form of classes in UnrealScript, but I guess it doesn't fit the "object model". blink.gif
Advertisement
There's indeed some inconsistency across the various offerings.
I am not well aware of what Cryengine does so I cannot speak for that but you probably also heard about a "component model".
So... yes, they are based on OOP but of course everyone does its own way.
Unfortunately, there's always some marketing involved... if you ask a beginner about the graphical effects his game provides he will tell "I feature this incredible shader" if you ask me, I won't tell you the same as specific shader is barely relevant. Similarly, I don't quite believe Unreal lacks some kind of "object model", it seems more likely they just don't see value in providing jargon - they just take it for granted.

Previously "Krohm"

There's indeed some inconsistency across the various offerings.
I am not well aware of what Cryengine does so I cannot speak for that but you probably also heard about a "component model".
So... yes, they are based on OOP but of course everyone does its own way.
Unfortunately, there's always some marketing involved... if you ask a beginner about the graphical effects his game provides he will tell "I feature this incredible shader" if you ask me, I won't tell you the same as specific shader is barely relevant. Similarly, I don't quite believe Unreal lacks some kind of "object model", it seems more likely they just don't see value in providing jargon - they just take it for granted.

I see. I've been exploring UDK for the past week, and I'm enjoying really enjoying the large documentation and community support (CryENGINE really lacks that). If only it had custom shader support like Unity. laugh.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement