Awesome scientific discoveries.

Started by
18 comments, last by Tachikoma 12 years, 4 months ago
Neutrinos are actually faster than light (But I thought Star Trek already confirmed this)

Metal that is lighter than air (I wonder how compares to nanocarbons)

Not all matter are the exact opposite of antimatter (It seems that physics may have to be rewritten)

Hopefully I'll get my space elevator and teleporter very very soon. :D

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Neutrinos are actually faster than light (But I thought Star Trek already confirmed this)

Metal that is lighter than air (I wonder how compares to nanocarbons)

Not all matter are the exact opposite of antimatter (It seems that physics may have to be rewritten)

Hopefully I'll get my space elevator and teleporter very very soon. :D

The new lithium ion battery stuff that came out last week was fairly cool also

Holy crap. Really. I mean, really.

I'm still waiting for independent groups (eg the Japanese) to effectively confirm this, though.

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1321723489' post='4885650']

Holy crap. Really. I mean, really.

I'm still waiting for independent groups (eg the Japanese) to effectively confirm this, though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I read an article where one scientist said it's far from being proven. Basically he was saying only two experiments isn't enough to validate it as fact. Though it does give the whole thing more validity and I'm sure the scientific community is going to dig into this pretty hard now.

I, for one, am stoked for the lithium ion battery stuff discoveries. Maybe I could go more than a full day without worrying about my phone's battery!
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

I, for one, am stoke for the lithium ion battery stuff discoveries. Maybe I could go more than a full day without worrying about my phone's battery!

Things like laptops and tablets would become far more usable also. We'd also get a pretty sizable increase in power because they wouldn't have to do the power vs. battery length balancing.
I saw some video of a news report on a """""""discovery""""""" of the 'God particle', but the person they were interviewing (a scientist or something) basically just said "So yeah, we were doing this stuff and we found that we got results!!"

Great, glad this is on the news. Maybe once you find out something useful you should seek publicity?

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

Heh, this fits perfectly with the theory I've always had. I believe ALL particles have mass and mass is relative to a particle's velocity, whether internal or external. Basically, the more energy/velocity a particle has the more it warps spacetime. If a particle has zero mass than it would be at all points in spacetime or essentially it would be nothing. Even though a neutrino can move faster than light it is only because it is a weaker/smaller particle. Meaning greatly faster than light communication or travel would still be impossible without perhaps warping space to do so.
As the Cern press release says, they shortened the length of the neutrino "bunches"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15791236

Still too early to get excited about it, but it's very interesting. as this article states, we'll probably have to wait for it to be confirmed or otherwise at one of the other experiments. Keep your eye on it though.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development

[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1321723489' post='4885650']

Heh, this fits perfectly with the theory I've always had. I believe ALL particles have mass and mass is relative to a particle's velocity, whether internal or external. Basically, the more energy/velocity a particle has the more it warps spacetime. If a particle has zero mass than it would be at all points in spacetime or essentially it would be nothing. Even though a neutrino can move faster than light it is only because it is a weaker/smaller particle. Meaning greatly faster than light communication or travel would still be impossible without perhaps warping space to do so.
[/quote]No offence but - even if this discovery turns out to be true, I bet that special relativity will still be a better description of reality, and far better supported by experimental evidence, then your "theory" ;)

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

As the Cern press release says, they shortened the length of the neutrino "bunches"

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-15791236

Still too early to get excited about it, but it's very interesting. as this article states, we'll probably have to wait for it to be confirmed or otherwise at one of the other experiments. Keep your eye on it though.

[quote name='The Article']The experiments have been carried out by the Opera collaboration - short for Oscillation Project with Emulsion (T)racking Apparatus.[/quote]
THEY CHEAT AT ACRONYMS.

edit: So just to make sure I'm understanding this experiment from a layman's perspective. Cern blew up some protons with the LHC/SPS and altered/filtered the bits that came out into just neutrinos and pointed them in the general direction of some special bricks in Italy and timed their travel?

double edit: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm http://genevalunch.com/blog/2011/11/21/cern-faster-than-light-neutrinos-not-so-says-second-italian-group/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement