Awesome scientific discoveries.

Started by
18 comments, last by Tachikoma 12 years, 4 months ago
Did you guys know?
Star trek already confirmed that Neutrino was faster than light and that, no one accepted the truth because there was not many support, But in 2 months everyone just started to support it.

"It's sad that Albert Einstein is proved wrong for his words"

Advertisement

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1321770623' post='4885811']
[quote name='Alpha_ProgDes' timestamp='1321723489' post='4885650']
Neutrinos are actually faster than light (But I thought Star Trek already confirmed this)

Heh, this fits perfectly with the theory I've always had. I believe ALL particles have mass and mass is relative to a particle's velocity, whether internal or external. Basically, the more energy/velocity a particle has the more it warps spacetime. If a particle has zero mass than it would be at all points in spacetime or essentially it would be nothing. Even though a neutrino can move faster than light it is only because it is a weaker/smaller particle. Meaning greatly faster than light communication or travel would still be impossible without perhaps warping space to do so.
[/quote]No offence but - even if this discovery turns out to be true, I bet that special relativity will still be a better description of reality, and far better supported by experimental evidence, then your "theory" ;)
[/quote]

In your opinion which is based on a brief online post in a video game developer forum and without any knowledge of who I am or any real evidence why I believe my hypothesis is right. I would say your disbelief is only rational.smile.gif

Did you guys know?

Of course we did. Did you read the OP?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Not all matter are the exact opposite of antimatter (It seems that physics may have to be rewritten)

It's well known thing,afaik since 70x, or may be earlier. We and everything around are existing because the number of particles after Bigbang was slightly more than antiparticles.
The neutrino experiment really needs to be reproduced in a different lab in order to get some sort of actual or partial verification.

Unfortunately, that's not really possible. This is going to be an ongoing issue with essentially any new result from the LHC that cannot be duplicated elsewhere.

The neutrino experiment really needs to be reproduced in a different lab in order to get some sort of actual or partial verification.

Unfortunately, that's not really possible. This is going to be an ongoing issue with essentially any new result from the LHC that cannot be duplicated elsewhere.

It seems like they could build another nuetron(edit nuetrino... stupid sub-atomic particles being named similarly) tube pointing at another lab somewhere else to at least reproduce the results a bit. Still some error involved in using the LHC in both, but it would probably be more cost effective than building another collider. Maybe they could reproduce it using Fermilab also?

[quote name='nilkn' timestamp='1322078361' post='4886993']

It seems like they could build another nuetron tube pointing at another lab somewhere else to at least reproduce the results a bit. Still some error involved in using the LHC in both, but it would probably be more cost effective than building another collider. Maybe they could reproduce it using Fermilab also?
[/quote]

I think having another team work on it might suffice. It's highly improbable in this case that anything other than clock sync/timing can account for this and 1) a timing mechanism can be constructed from ground, b) fresh eyes have a good chance of catching any other human error there might be. A different kind of technical issue would be somewhat strange as it's unlikely they overpowered their accelerator to break the laws of physics by accident.
ZOMG! A Jem HaDar eyescreen!

Star Trek how I love thee!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

[quote name='Cornstalks' timestamp='1321751930' post='4885749']
I, for one, am stoke for the lithium ion battery stuff discoveries. Maybe I could go more than a full day without worrying about my phone's battery!

Things like laptops and tablets would become far more usable also. We'd also get a pretty sizable increase in power because they wouldn't have to do the power vs. battery length balancing.
[/quote]

But, who needs cells, laptops, and tablets anyway. It's so nice when these things are quiet.

Much more importantly, that discovery may finally make electric cars competitive. Current generation takes around 8 hours for a full charge, giving a maximum cruising range of about 170 km. Which, frankly, as nice as an electric car may otherwise be, is utter shit compared to what combustion engines deliver.

Now... full charged in under 50 minutes and a 1700 km cruising range... that's a different story. :)

Yeah, I read an article where one scientist said it's far from being proven. Basically he was saying only two experiments isn't enough to validate it as fact. Though it does give the whole thing more validity and I'm sure the scientific community is going to dig into this pretty hard now.

Nitpicking, but even an infinite amount of experiments could not validate a theory as a fact.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement