What to learn about C#?

Started by
6 comments, last by SimonForsman 12 years, 4 months ago
Im actualy going to give up Java and go C# and i want to know alll the things i should know about the language.. like Asp.net i think is something about c# and .net what is the things besides the language i should know about?

Thanks
Advertisement
There are tons of things, most of which are useless until you learn the basics of the language. Start there.

There are tons of things, most of which are useless until you learn the basics of the language. Start there.

How much experience do you have with java? Basic functions like loops and arrays should pretty function the same just the syntax may be a little different, java also uses constructors and is object oriented so on many fronts it's the same as C#. When you start in C# you should know about the namespace system, for everything else you pretty much do the same as in java, use google.

Otherwise your question is too broad, like Telastyn said, learn the basics. You might want to start with a hello world tutorial again then work your way up to the calculator and eventually a simple console game.

[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1321969674' post='4886556']

How much experience do you have with java? Basic functions like loops and arrays should pretty function the same just the syntax may be a little different, java also uses constructors and is object oriented so on many fronts it's the same as C#. When you start in C# you should know about the namespace system, for everything else you pretty much do the same as in java, use google.
[/quote]

Yeah, the very basics are the same, but C# has diverged fairly significantly from Java starting at 3.0 (4 years now).

If you're a solid Java programmer, you can probably get along pretty well. Since the OP is giving up on it, I suspect that isn't the case here.

But even for solid Java programmers, I'd still recommend spending a few weeks learning to do things 'the C# way'. Even if syntax is similar, idioms change.
Im not worried about the learning part.. im aware that its similar to java i made java applications that uses databases for example so i do have some knowledge.. I just want to know what "extra things" there is for C#
With this i mean for example .NET, what things does more exist for C# ?
i also did learn some c++ way back so i do have some knowledge about namescpaces and such..

Im actualy going to give up Java and go C# and i want to know alll the things i should know about the language.. like Asp.net i think is something about c# and .net what is the things besides the language i should know about?

Thanks

ASP.NET, ADO.NET, WPF etc. are specialized for manipulating web applications(ASP), databases (ADO) and so on. When starting C# (if your final goal is programming games) you might want to try programming Windows Forms, it will give you a good overview of C#'s "building block's". But if you want to make games using C#, why not start with XNA - it is C# based language, and there are enough materials to get you going, especially if you already have programming experience (there are many similarities between Java and all C based languages), only slight syntax differences (that are actually unimportant, just look the command you want on on-line and you should correct any syntax errors in less then a minute).

Hope this helps

A realy good C# learning guide, go for it!

HERE!

Im not worried about the learning part.. im aware that its similar to java i made java applications that uses databases for example so i do have some knowledge.. I just want to know what "extra things" there is for C#
With this i mean for example .NET, what things does more exist for C# ?
i also did learn some c++ way back so i do have some knowledge about namescpaces and such..

some of the main features of C# that are different or missing from Java (just from the top of my head) would be:

namespaces
LINQ
properties and accessors
indexers
delegates
events
foreach loops
structs
operator overloading
rectangular arrays

I probably forgot a bunch of stuff but its a start.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement