Why is it that game designers should not have emotions for their ideas?

Started by
12 comments, last by FLeBlanc 12 years, 4 months ago
I mean seriously why shouldn't they have any emotions for their ideas and stories? Why should they let go of it immediately if the idea sucks or won't work? there have been bad games lately. Why Should I take it from heart? Then I won't feel like it if its something I make which I don't feel right about it and you know....Awkwardness?

Have many of the game designers feel like this? Or am I the only one here?
Advertisement
There's a big difference between not having any attachment or passion for your ideas, and being willing to let go of an idea that turns out to be crap.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

So you're saying that its bad to get attached to the ideas?

So you're saying that its bad to get attached to the ideas?

Attachment is bad if you can't let go, yes. It provokes irrational behaviour.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
It is good to have deeply felt but loosely held attachment. You can feel strongly about it, but be prepared to let it go when that is okay.

The skill, confidence, and self-assurance is invaluable when people can say: "I feel strongly that this is the best design. Here is why. ... Now I am willing to let this design go if anyone can convince me of a better one."

Too many people (and politicians) get stuck with the giant ego that their view is right and others are inferior. The preson unable or unwilling to change their view when presented with new information deserves failure.

Your desisn is not perfect. As a mere mortal your designs and plans are going to be flawed. Sometimes you will be flat-out wrong. Sometimes you will rethink a long-held belief and reach a different conclusion. Sometimes it takes a bunch of friends and coworkers to convince you that the project will absolutely fail dispite your beliefs. Learn from it, listen to feedback, reframe views as neccasary, pick an improved direction, and move on.
Writers refer to this as "Be willing to kill your children."

You must be ruthless. You must be objective. You may think it's a neat idea, but *YOUR* opinion is not important. Your readers are the important ones. If it's not the very neatest idea, then it's not a neat idea at all and it must go.

Without that ruthlessness -- that willingness to kill ANY of your ideas in the service of the greater story, you will be self-indulgent and great writing is never self-indulgent.

Without that ruthlessness -- that willingness to kill ANY of your ideas in the service of the greater story, you will be self-indulgent and great writing is never self-indulgent.

Self-indulgent writing may or may not ever be great, but it is often profitable.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

[quote name='Katie' timestamp='1322259680' post='4887732']

Self-indulgent writing may or may not ever be great, but it is often profitable.
[/quote]
Or you end up with the Skyrim skill window, which is terrible to work with.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

So...All this time you're saying that passion is not a great thing to have for a game designer?

I can't believe this. Then you guys are just making games for the players but not that you like the idea or hate the idea, you just do it.

Your desisn is not perfect. .

What design are you talking about?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement