[web] Good Web Hosting

Started by
7 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 4 months ago
Does anybody know of a good, and relatively cheap, web host provider? I'm making a semi-personal website and don't expect to get a great deal of traffic but still may get some. It'd be nice to have as many "techy" options and abilities as possible, such as Python or SSH access. Thanks!<br _mce_bogus="1">

Robert');DROP TABLE users;--

Advertisement
Anecdotally I've heard great things about Dreamhost and Bluehost. I believe 1and1 is also very well regarded.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I've used 1and1 and it was a pretty bad experience for me. Looking into Dreamhost and Bluehost, they seem good but not quite what I'm looking for. Thanks though.

I've had good experiences with CS New Media, especially when it comes to support, though I have been using their reseller and VPS options.

I believe 1and1 is also very well regarded.

I've found 1&1 to be a pain in the arse to work with (e.g. nasty PHP options like register_globals and magic_quotes_gpc switched on by default, no external access to MySQL databases).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I've had good experiences with CS New Media, especially when it comes to support, though I have been using their reseller and VPS options.

-snip-

Looks pretty good, but I'm looking for a USA based host.

You can try out Hosting24.com.

If you don't like the service, then you can get your money back.
Depends on what you need. If you need shared web hosting, then Dreamhost is OK - you get enough elbow room in the shell to make a decent set of tweaks and modifications should they be necessary. I think you can use mod_python, don't know about WSGI.

If you're looking for a decent Python provider, however, you're probably looking at dedicated hosting or a virtual server. I'd start looking at an EC2 Micro instance (free) or an el-cheapo VPS at Linode or Rackspace Cloud. Bear in mind you'll need to bring your own clues to the table as far as setup and administration go.
http://edropple.com
I use Accuweb for my VPS (though, they do shared hosting as well) and I've been nothing but pleased. The pricing is reasonable and the support is the best I've ever received when working with an IT company.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.

Depends on what you need. If you need shared web hosting, then Dreamhost is OK - you get enough elbow room in the shell to make a decent set of tweaks and modifications should they be necessary. I think you can use mod_python, don't know about WSGI.

If you're looking for a decent Python provider, however, you're probably looking at dedicated hosting or a virtual server. I'd start looking at an EC2 Micro instance (free) or an el-cheapo VPS at Linode or Rackspace Cloud. Bear in mind you'll need to bring your own clues to the table as far as setup and administration go.

Be careful with the EC2... its "free"*

As in, free with caveats. First being, its free for a year, second being it is free up to a certain threshold, then you pay. An exceptionally popular page for a day can bankrupt you.

Ive had nothing but bad experiences with free webhosts, they work great until you have a traffic spike, then they hose you. Personally I use SoftLayer, but it isn't cheap yet their quality and service levels are excellent. Plus it's cloud based so I can spin up more servers on demand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement