How to start?

Started by
12 comments, last by JosephParrilla 12 years, 4 months ago

[quote name='Joe P' timestamp='1322862948' post='4889928']
You couldn't possibly be more wrong about C++. If you think you can become an "expert" in 6 months, you are in a wild dream. It is very nice that you are a "fast learner", but thats irrelevant. Being stubborn is not the way to go here. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to make an engine, if that is your true goal. If your goal is to just make games, you should pick a language you know well, and pick an engine/framework that fits the level of abstraction you want and just get on with it. Being a language elitist will get you nowhere. Unless you have been making games for a while, I really dont see you running into performance issues in a language like C#. Trust me friend, the attitude that you have is going to take you nowhere... be humble and smart when it comes to your tools, youll be happy you did.

No offense but as a engineering student, there is no way you can engineer something with C#. I'm not an language elitist but C# is just some bullshit that is made by a company who seeks only it's own interest rather than community. The problem is not performance issue, I want to learn something useful later in my life and I don't see C# will be useful for me.

In addition, I didn't say I will be an expert in 6 months. I just said I can hit advanced level in 6 months. You can check an english dictionary if you think advanced and expert have smilar meaning.

Finally, I really don't need your help other than technical issues. Please, keep your opinions to yourself other than those related with my question

Thank you for your contribution in this thread.
[/quote]

Being an engineering student myself for a couple of years now I'd probably say that you really need to review the 'objective research' part of your curriculum. Saying C# is useless bullshit is a terribly biased claim and does not indicate proper research (you're not a good engineer if you can't do decent research). C# knows many applications within the game development world and other programming areas and is a well-defined and popular language on-par with Oracle's Java.

As stated before, please do not underestimate C++; it can take quite some time to get to an 'advanced' level even for experienced programmers, so claiming that you can do it in no time comes off as quite arrogant

On your engine matter, if you have no experience writing games I would seriously advise against writing an engine from scratch. To set up a proper design for an engine you'll need to know about how games are structured exactly, and how you could abstract away those parts which can be re-used in your engine. Add this to the advanced level of programming required in fields such as graphics, audio, physics, etc. and you've got yourself a nearly impossible task for someone who has no experience developing games.

I gets all your texture budgets!

Advertisement

[quote name='kintantee' timestamp='1322870969' post='4889964']
You couldn't possibly be more wrong about C++. If you think you can become an "expert" in 6 months, you are in a wild dream. It is very nice that you are a "fast learner", but thats irrelevant. Being stubborn is not the way to go here. Theres nothing wrong with wanting to make an engine, if that is your true goal. If your goal is to just make games, you should pick a language you know well, and pick an engine/framework that fits the level of abstraction you want and just get on with it. Being a language elitist will get you nowhere. Unless you have been making games for a while, I really dont see you running into performance issues in a language like C#. Trust me friend, the attitude that you have is going to take you nowhere... be humble and smart when it comes to your tools, youll be happy you did.

No offense but as a engineering student, there is no way you can engineer something with C#. I'm not an language elitist but C# is just some bullshit that is made by a company who seeks only it's own interest rather than community. The problem is not performance issue, I want to learn something useful later in my life and I don't see C# will be useful for me.

In addition, I didn't say I will be an expert in 6 months. I just said I can hit advanced level in 6 months. You can check an english dictionary if you think advanced and expert have smilar meaning.

Finally, I really don't need your help other than technical issues. Please, keep your opinions to yourself other than those related with my question

[/quote]

Being an engineering student myself for a couple of years now I'd probably say that you really need to review the 'objective research' part of your curriculum. Saying C# is useless bullshit is a terribly biased claim and does not indicate proper research (you're not a good engineer if you can't do decent research). C# knows many applications within the game development world and other programming areas and is a well-defined and popular language on-par with Oracle's Java.

As stated before, please do not underestimate C++; it can take quite some time to get to an 'advanced' level even for experienced programmers, so claiming that you can do it in no time comes off as quite arrogant

On your engine matter, if you have no experience writing games I would seriously advise against writing an engine from scratch. To set up a proper design for an engine you'll need to know about how games are structured exactly, and how you could abstract away those parts which can be re-used in your engine. Add this to the advanced level of programming required in fields such as graphics, audio, physics, etc. and you've got yourself a nearly impossible task for someone who has no experience developing games.
[/quote]

I gave up on that idea. Actually my intend while studying OpenGL was to write just a library that works only for my game. I've never intended to write a game engine. I'm taking a look at allegro right now. I'll be doing some little platform games for a while untill I get some experience to start an RPG project.
[quote=kintantee][color="#1D3652"]

[color=#000000]

No offense but as an engineering student, there is no way you can engineer something with C#.

[/quote]

Careful, your stupid is showing.
Let's keep it friendly here, chaps. No need to get personal.

Also, kintantee, you might want to be careful with your presentation and attitude.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

No offense but as an engineering student, there is no way you can engineer something with C#. I'm not an language elitist but C# is just some bullshit that is made by a company who seeks only it's own interest rather than community. The problem is not performance issue, I want to learn something useful later in my life and I don't see C# will be useful for me.

[/quote]

Ok I'm done here, this has no hope... good luck :/
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement