No C++ templates in Visual Studio 2010

Started by
1 comment, last by BrandeX 12 years, 4 months ago
I have Visual Studio 2010 Pro (via Dreamspark), but it seems to be missing certain functionality for C++. I can not properly load/compile a pre-existing .cpp file. Nor, do I seem to have any templates or IDE menu options for making my own C++ programs. On the "Start Page" only Visual Basic and C# are listed for example. I tried rerunning install/repair but there was no change. Does anyone know why C++ might be missing from my 2010 Pro install, and how to put the C++ templates and stuff back in?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Either you haven't installed the unmanaged components, or your development settings hide the unmanaged functionality. The latter can be fixed by going to Tools->Import and Export Settings and resetting to "General development settings". Former can be fixed by running the VS installer and selecting proper components.

Note that generally you compile a project, not an individual source file. The project contains compiler and linker settings that determine, among other things, what type of program you are building.

Niko Suni

Either you haven't installed the unmanaged components, or your development settings hide the unmanaged functionality. The latter can be fixed by going to Tools->Import and Export Settings and resetting to "General development settings". Former can be fixed by running the VS installer and selecting proper components.

Note that generally you compile a project, not an individual source file. The project contains compiler and linker settings that determine, among other things, what type of program you are building.

That was it, thanks. When I re-ran the installer before I did the "repair" option which just reinstalled what was already there, I should have chosen "Add/remove features" instead.

TY!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement