how do i know which librarys are for commercial project?

Started by
15 comments, last by DarklyDreaming 12 years, 4 months ago

[quote name='Ashaman73' timestamp='1322721719' post='4889325']
[quote name='FantasyVI' timestamp='1322661343' post='4889059']
ok isn't just easier to just use SFML (1 library) with OpenGL to load Images, Audio etc.. instead of using 10 library's?

another thing SFML say
"SFML is completely free for any use, commercial or not, open-source or not. That is, you can use SFML API in your project without any restriction."
so that means i can use SFML and when i want to sell my game just make a readme.txt and say in it that i used SFML in my project.

also one more thing, will there be a performance difference between one software that uses 10 library's and another software that uses only 1 library ?

As far as I understand, the problem with SFML is, that it is partly a wrapper. SFML (optionally) uses for example OpenAL-soft implementation to enable sound support. So, the SFML wrapper code is free, but the used OpenAL-soft lib can only be used under the LGPL license (normally a 'wrapper' license can't overwrite the license of used libs).

That is, you can use SFML with its very liberate license, but it could happen, that you can't use all features of it, when you want to avoid certain sub licenses like the LGPL (i.e. sound will not work on all devices etc.)

I, for one, keep away from LGPL/GPL licenses after talking to my lawyer (the viral nature of these licenses could be difficult). An other issue is, that most licenses are written under US law, when your are living in an other country (i.e. EU) , these licenses could have an other interpretation. This (and other issues..) was the reason I got rid off SDL and OpenAL and reimplemented it using standard Win-APIs, sometimes you incoparate a lib but only use a very small portion of it ...

But this is only my personal reaction to LGPL licenses. The best advice I could give sofar is, check what library you really need and finally talk to a lawyer.
[/quote]

oh my god why is this so complicated -_-
ok so what is the worst thing that might happen if you use SFML for example and sell your game?
[/quote]
Nothing if you comply with the rules, which is a fairly trivial part of selling a game.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Advertisement
Yeah, but complying with the rules is not that easy. You have to read all the licenses and some projects use other libraries and you have to go through them too. And you have to read very carefully, if you include the wrong one, you either have to open (GPL) or anything could happen if you include a propietary one (in practice that could mean that you loose money you've earned with the game (and more) if it really starts to sell well).
Ron AF Greve
so what there is no hope for an indie game developer to make games !!!! if you are offering free code for people to use why in gods name do you need a license for it ?!!! ITS FREE CODE !!!

isn't this license enough to use all of SML library features ?
I do intend to write in my code and game that this software used SFML and OpenGL isn't that enough.

SFML License
"
SFML - Copyright (c) 2007-2008 Laurent Gomila This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions: 1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required. 2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software. 3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution."

External libraries used by SFML

http://www.sfml-dev.org/license.php

thank you guys for everything.

just what do i have to do to not get sued and spend all my money on lawyers?
I think you have to read them yourself and read them well (that's what I did). However I use:

vorbis
png
jpeg (not the intel jpeg)
zlib
freetype

So I considered (but I might be wrong) those safe to use. I also use OpenAL, but reading this thread I think I have to reread it's license. I thought it was ok as long as you used the DLL.

Additonal libraries (which I thought were also safe to include):
expat
speex

Yet, I am no lawyer and this is not legal advice.
Ron AF Greve

Yeah, but complying with the rules is not that easy. You have to read all the licenses and some projects use other libraries and you have to go through them too. And you have to read very carefully, if you include the wrong one, you either have to open (GPL) or anything could happen if you include a propietary one (in practice that could mean that you loose money you've earned with the game (and more) if it really starts to sell well).

If you are doing games for anything more than a hobby, then you are doing it as a business. Checking a few proprietary licensees is trivial one day work (if there are a lot of them that is, otherwise it's done before lunch time) and any common (ZLib, GPL, LGPL et al) are very easy to know by hand the most common pitfalls (and if you need more than that, get a lawyer to check it for you - it doesn't cost that much).

so what there is no hope for an indie game developer to make games !!!! if you are offering free code for people to use why in gods name do you need a license for it ?!!! ITS FREE CODE !!!

Because nothing in this world is absolutely, unconditionally, free. This is free as in 'free beer' but it happens to come with a sticker on it saying 'read me' - perhaps you ought to do just that...

isn't this license enough to use all of SML library features ?
I do intend to write in my code and game that this software used SFML and OpenGL isn't that enough.

No. It's enough to use all of SFML except where it includes other libraries for specific features (e.g. JPEG).

SFML License
"
SFML - Copyright © 2007-2008 Laurent Gomila This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions: 1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required. 2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software. 3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution."

There ya go - that's all you need for SFML. Now go find out what other libraries you are including and find the license for them below (which they even include in a nice little list - how thoughtful of them; no need for you to do the five second google search!)

External libraries used by SFML

http://www.sfml-dev.org/license.php

thank you guys for everything.

Yes, so per above - which ones of the above are you using? Give a list or we can't give you a proper answer.

just what do i have to do to not get sued and spend all my money on lawyers?

You have to comply with the rules (license in this case). This is not complex stuff. Filing taxes is a nightmare in comparison (and you do intend to file taxes if you are selling games, right?) :)
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

do intend to file taxes if you are selling games, right? :)

well i don't think i have to pay any taxes because i live in UAE - Dubai, and we don't have taxes in Dubai as far as i know.
i think I'll ask my dads lawyer and see. after all I'm just 19.

anyways thank you all guys for the help it really meant a lot. :)
I'm going now spend the next hour reading licenses instead of spending time on Deving my game -__- that should be fun.

thanks again :)

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1322748171' post='4889404']
do intend to file taxes if you are selling games, right? :)

well i don't think i have to pay any taxes because i live in UAE - Dubai, and we don't have taxes in Dubai as far as i know.
i think I'll ask my dads lawyer and see. after all I'm just 19.
[/quote]
I signed my first (legally binding) agreement when I was fourteen, started filling taxes when I was sixteen and had my first internship shortly after I became seventeen - now I'm eighteen, have my own company, and finishing up my first semi-large production and fourth commercial game. Age has nothing (or little) to do with what you can (and cannot) do and what you have to (or not) do.

Don't use your age as an excuse to avoid 'business stuff' - that'll end up in a world of hurt. If you don't want to do business, then get someone to handle the business side.

Best of luck and cheers! :)
~ Gabe
~ Cavil, BSG.
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement