• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lehthanis

C++ Option Dialog Boxes - low overhead method?

This topic is 2572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using Visual Studio 2010, and working with OpenGL and want to make an option dialog box where I can set a few options for the render scene. I'm not interested in digging too much into to the "visual" side of visual studio because I've heard there's a lot of overhead in there and it makes cross-platform programming very difficult because the microsoft tools lock you into a microsoft only program. I could be wrong though, feel free to sway me otherwise.

What I'd like is to be able to press, say, F2 to bring up an options dialog box with a few simple controls that set state. Is there a tutorial or sample code for doing something like this available on the net? I don't want to add too many dependencies to my program, so the simplest method available is what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Advertisement
What are you using for window creation? If you're using a cross-platform windowing library then it may have some options for creating a dialog box.

Well, I looked at the Visual Studio dialog box editor...it creates a .rc file. I dunno if that's like I said, and relying too much on the microsoft overhead. I guess what I meant earlier is that when I created my project I did it as an empty project, none of the precompiled headers and all the other things that come in a win32 project. I'm handling all of my opengl window code through a glwindow.cpp and a glxwindow.cpp for linux (from the Beginning OpenGL book samples). I'd like to keep it pretty simple and just call a dialog box without having to dive too deeply into the visual studio wizards. The less I have to do with a wizard the better.

Well, I looked at the Visual Studio dialog box editor...it creates a .rc file. I dunno if that's like I said, and relying too much on the microsoft overhead. I guess what I meant earlier is that when I created my project I did it as an empty project, none of the precompiled headers and all the other things that come in a win32 project. I'm handling all of my opengl window code through a glwindow.cpp and a glxwindow.cpp for linux (from the Beginning OpenGL book samples). I'd like to keep it pretty simple and just call a dialog box without having to dive too deeply into the visual studio wizards. The less I have to do with a wizard the better.

Using the microsoft method of dialog boxes when you don't want overhead is not advisable.
Once everything is said and done you have a few pages of code for your "simple dialog" (including its own message handler etc), I tried finding something simple with low overhead like you stated and pretty much universally any GUI library I looked at took a tremendous amount of setup and integration to get it up and running so I would be very interested in something like this as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!