C++ Option Dialog Boxes - low overhead method?

Started by
3 comments, last by Matt-D 12 years, 4 months ago
I am using Visual Studio 2010, and working with OpenGL and want to make an option dialog box where I can set a few options for the render scene. I'm not interested in digging too much into to the "visual" side of visual studio because I've heard there's a lot of overhead in there and it makes cross-platform programming very difficult because the microsoft tools lock you into a microsoft only program. I could be wrong though, feel free to sway me otherwise.

What I'd like is to be able to press, say, F2 to bring up an options dialog box with a few simple controls that set state. Is there a tutorial or sample code for doing something like this available on the net? I don't want to add too many dependencies to my program, so the simplest method available is what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
I work with X-Plane
Advertisement
What are you using for window creation? If you're using a cross-platform windowing library then it may have some options for creating a dialog box.
Well, I looked at the Visual Studio dialog box editor...it creates a .rc file. I dunno if that's like I said, and relying too much on the microsoft overhead. I guess what I meant earlier is that when I created my project I did it as an empty project, none of the precompiled headers and all the other things that come in a win32 project. I'm handling all of my opengl window code through a glwindow.cpp and a glxwindow.cpp for linux (from the Beginning OpenGL book samples). I'd like to keep it pretty simple and just call a dialog box without having to dive too deeply into the visual studio wizards. The less I have to do with a wizard the better.
I work with X-Plane

Well, I looked at the Visual Studio dialog box editor...it creates a .rc file. I dunno if that's like I said, and relying too much on the microsoft overhead. I guess what I meant earlier is that when I created my project I did it as an empty project, none of the precompiled headers and all the other things that come in a win32 project. I'm handling all of my opengl window code through a glwindow.cpp and a glxwindow.cpp for linux (from the Beginning OpenGL book samples). I'd like to keep it pretty simple and just call a dialog box without having to dive too deeply into the visual studio wizards. The less I have to do with a wizard the better.

Using the microsoft method of dialog boxes when you don't want overhead is not advisable.
Once everything is said and done you have a few pages of code for your "simple dialog" (including its own message handler etc), I tried finding something simple with low overhead like you stated and pretty much universally any GUI library I looked at took a tremendous amount of setup and integration to get it up and running so I would be very interested in something like this as well.
You might consider Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK) -- http://www.fltk.org/ // see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLTK
It's cross-platform and very lightweight -- it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but, then again, you just want simple dialog boxes and minimal overhead, not something huge like MFC ;-), so it might be just what you're looking for!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement