What tool could be the best?

Started by
2 comments, last by ApochPiQ 12 years, 4 months ago
I've just made my first game.It's a 2d platform made on unity the game is pretty fun but now I want to get into something more "complex" I was wondering about develop a 2d rpg game(I'm playing the snes zelda now and I really loved it).But now I don't know what tool to use,first I wonder about use unity but because of it 's a 3d engine is pretty hard to implement a tilemap system(and make a rpg map dragging 3d planes into the scene really sucks).So what could be the better tool?I want to get a job in the game industry after college(I'm on high school now).Is better start using c++ now?Or Python?What do you think?
Advertisement
You have some other work to do before figuring out which language to use.

First of all, what platform(s) do you plan to target? Depending on the platform, exactly which devices of that platform do you plan to target? Who do you expect to play your game? etc..

Once you have all of that, you need to put together a solid design document.

Once you have a solid idea of what exactly needs to be done and for which systems, you can much more easily (and much more accurately) determine the best language to use.

There is no one-size-fits-all language. The language you use should rely on many factors.
Co-founder/Lead Programmer
Bonafide Software, L.L.C.
Fairmont, WV 26554 US
I only want to get pc and mac for first platform but if the game become good I want to port it to mobile(that's why i liked unity)
What kind of job are you trying to get? Programming? Design? Art?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement